1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Levanter, Apr 4, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last
  1. bettyn
    Am looking for reviews on how this DAP sounds. Own two QP1Rs. If it;s as good or better than those, will definitely be interested.

2. jmills8
    By "good" you mean function UI, battery, power, storage, sound? By "sound" you mean neutral, detailed, depth, sound stage?

3. Joseph Lin
    I am really exciting about this DAP, especially the AptX HD, large battery and SD slot. What headphones support AptX HD?

4. raypin
    Mm..only a handful:

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483

5. TheNoose
    Onkyo's DP X1 / X1A has two SD card slots plus balanced configuration (2xamp/DAC lines). On the other hand whilst it has three gain settings they are still not the equivalent of an external amp. In my case the advantages of this unit are strong enough esp at the price - half of Kann.

6. Bengkia369

I don't think so, DP-X1 don't even sounds good compared to AK120ii.

7. TheNoose
    There are many who don't agree with you too. My purpose was to flag an option not yet raised here rather than make a full fledged comparative review

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811910/new-iriver-ak70/120

At this stage I prefer the sound of the Onkyo which I own vs any of the A&K which I've listened to at shows. It's all about the choice...price for performance is important to me in my decision. I look forward to seeing reviews of the Kwan once it's released too. :thumbsup:

8. jmills8
    Then why jump in this thread ?

9. TheNoose

Many other brands are mentioned not Onkyo, since we were discussing comparisons with other brands I'm adding to that conversation. Is that alright with you? It's simply exploration nothing more dear.

10. Toolman
    Dismissing something which they have not seen, held or heard nor something which they wanted to buy is not doing this forum or any potential buyers any justice.

11. Traveller

My 2c

Setting aside the general appearance (some will like it, some won't) my main issue is bulk. Also my first impression was that it was going to come in at well over 300g but I was amazed to see the spec figure of 279g!

The price & specs are great - I imagine, owners of the 300 / 320 are scratching their heads wondering why A&K didn't give up the DAC's  full bit2bit functionality in the first place and the 380+Amp guys are looking at their €4K+ invoices and reminding themselves of how damn good the stack looks... .

But here's my question: why would I need 7V rms to run my 17ohm Angie IIs or my 32ohm T5p.2s or my 40ohm K872s or even my 100ohm ER-4S...??? Why would I want to lug around that brick just to power those?

So fine, let's say I finally add a 300ohm HD 800 or 250~600ohm+ Beyerdynamic to my collection... then I'd go buy A&Ks Amp and stack. This way, when I want to cruise with my Angies, I leave the Amp @home and I have a much leaner profiled DAP in my pocket.

So it's not only a question of aesthetics but of practicality and need... .

12. TheNoose
    Couldn't agree more Toolman. All will be known once the product is released and honestly even though I may never buy this unit I can't wait for it to come to market. It's unique form and format are interesting additions to our market.

13. addyg
    [quote
    But here's my question: why would I need 7V rms to run my 17ohm Angie IIs or my 32ohm T5p.2s or my 40ohm K872s or even my 100ohm ER-4S...??? Why would I want to lug around that brick just to power those?

So fine, let's say I finally add a 300ohm HD 800 or 250~600ohm+ Beyerdynamic to my collection... then I'd go buy A&Ks Amp and stack. This way, when I want to cruise with my Angies, I leave the Amp @home and I have a much leaner profiled DAP in my pocket.

So it's not only a question of aesthetics but of practicality and need... .
    [/quote]

No kidding, I just did a search. 7 Vrms = 1000mW. That is two times the output of a desktop amp like Teac UD-503

14. addyg
    I believe most AK are 2.5 - 3 V rms which = 125 - 199mW. So say 3 times on Kann it will be 375 - 600mW (4.4 - 5.5V rms)

15. h1f1add1cted
    FYI AK240, AK320 and AK380 have all 2.3 Vrms at SE and 2.1 Vrms at BAL.

Btw. 4 Vrms = 1000mW (16 ohms load).

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last