Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Aug 5, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #691 of 2,200
A&K PAY ATTENTION

We need an option to disable the giant pyramid volume.

This is a major UX issue... I use the dial... several times i swipe to scroll and instead turn volume full blast because the pymarid is displaying.

it needs to go. give us an option to disable

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #692 of 2,200
I can't be the only one who has their own music library and doesn't need any streaming,called that radio back in the day and was free(still is).I know that some people will say radio is not the same as streaming so I say"OK".
Why does A&K not make a DAP with loads of storage like the KANN but without any streaming or how about a Cube with both sizes of cards and maybe 3 card slots and no streaming at all?
A Cube specifically for people that have their own library.I just ignore the streaming but how about putting the expertise that goes into developing the Cube and just target the customer base that doesn't want streaming.
I always have my favourites with me because all my tunes are my favourites,that's why I buy them.
Custom made library by me for me,good tunes Newt,I know eh!:D

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #693 of 2,200
I can't be the only one who has their own music library and doesn't need any streaming,called that radio back in the day and was free(still is).I know that some people will say radio is not the same as streaming so I say"OK".
Why does A&K not make a DAP with loads of storage like the KANN but without any streaming or how about a Cube with both sizes of cards and maybe 3 card slots and no streaming at all?
A Cube specifically for people that have their own library.I just ignore the streaming but how about putting the expertise that goes into developing the Cube and just target the customer base that doesn't want streaming.
I always have my favourites with me because all my tunes are my favourites,that's why I buy them.
Get a Sony dap

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #694 of 2,200
the army of 1

welcome to the future pal.

try finding some new favs its great for neuroplasticity.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #695 of 2,200
the army of 1

welcome to the future pal.

try finding some new favs its great for neuroplasticity.
I hear that listening to the channels reversed helps as well. Just sayin'.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #698 of 2,200
image.jpeg
Anyone experiencing the AkMusic player application crashing? This only started happening after the latest software update.

After the application crashed, there was nothing but a solid gray screen, nothing to interact with on the screen and all buttons became non-responsive. No sound coming from the device.

I rebooted and all my playlists have been emptied. All playlists show zero songs.

Will play with the device a bit more and see if any recovery occurs. Maybe another reboot will fix things.

Brand new Kann Cube from Amazon, card is a SanDisk 32gb card, music is an mp3 from iTunes.

Firmware version: 1.13CM

I found the previous firmware (it might have been 1.12, sorry, I didn't make a note of it) to be very reliable. It made it look easy playing through 6+ hours of music (stored locally on the flash card) while creating and editing playlists at the same time. Very nice UX (as others have mentioned).

Question: Should I sit tight? Would it be advised to try to downgrade to firmware 1.12? Is it possible for mere mortals to do that? I don't know anything about Android.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #699 of 2,200
I am a new member, and I am very happy to be accepted in your wonderful passion so I say may the force be with al of you :).i am not really an audiophile, as i don’t know much about the technical terms one uses, but I am a professional Opera-Singer and studied music my whole life: classical piano and trombone. I also bought the KC and I love it, of course have other equipment like : Mojo,DPx1,old kann, Hugo 2,focal eldear,hd700,hd800s,audeze lcdx open,lcdi4,shure846 and the last ones UE Live iems. Did anyone noticed ( or is just my Cube ) that the WiFi Signal on KC is half reduced( and the downloading speed by a margin) or more with the case on it? Big hug to everyone and enjoy you r listening.

With all the gear you listed, I think you’re an audiophile :)
Not able to answer your question but I’m curious to know what you think of the KC’s sound vs the Mojo ? I have the Mojo and am curious about the Cube.

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #700 of 2,200
With all the gear you listed, I think you’re an audiophile :)
Not able to answer your question but I’m curious to know what you think of the KC’s sound vs the Mojo ? I have the Mojo and am curious about the Cube.

Thanks!
I have both. Mojo+poly and kann cube. I would not have kept the cube unless there was a significant SQ benefit. Z1R through balanced on the Cube has much greater soundstage and resolution. In fact i have an LCD 4Z and via the cube i enjoy the Z1R more. Including all the other features like hooking direct to kef lsx with optical out. The ability to offline tidal qibuz etc. the cube wins hands down. Just wish it was a little smaller. The mojopoly fits beautifully in the hand.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #701 of 2,200
Terry Newton, is there any dap that has tones of memory? I don’t know one but then again I don’t know all the daps, so I don’t think is just an A and K thing.Even more so now you can get 1 Tera memory card but of course for master quality is not enough will get full fast..

audio- I also had problems with the APK app to stop working, but I think that because is getting warm: listening and downloading in the same time plus streaming I think is too much for the processor of the KC, nevertheless none of my tidal offline content got erased. Anyway, if you have an offline content you can always restore it.

1000 RoundZ I love the KC , I didn’t listen to mojo for a long time but even so I think KC is on another league, almost Hugo 2 league, in fact I like it as much as Hugo.
Different points are still the big differences KC is a Dap therefore tidal advantage and I love the sound clear with a warm touch which is totally different then Hugo’s sound analytical, very dynamic (for me a hair too much( I still enjoy it very much)),maybe one could call it artificial perfection of the quality. So you can use the KC also with a PC-Iphone ( interesting from PC trough optical, less noise very enjoyable) but it doesn’t have Hugo 2 crossfeed or the filters,but the balanced output has its value as I listen my LCDi4 or h800s trough it. I honestly think they are both fantastic and very close to each other + and - more so I think they complete each other perfectly, I am so pleased with them. The only upgrade I would go for( for a big difference) would be a Dave or something in that category but as my life is on the road all the time I think I am perfect with this babies.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #702 of 2,200
audio- I also had problems with the APK app to stop working, but I think that because is getting warm: listening and downloading in the same time plus streaming I think is too much for the processor of the KC, nevertheless none of my tidal offline content got erased. Anyway, if you have an offline content you can always restore it.

The only upgrade I would go for( for a big difference) would be a Dave or something in that category

Yes, I'm not too worried about losing my music. The KC is still showing all the music. It's just that making those playlists using the device took days, and I entered less than half of the playlists I have. It looks like the playlist deletion was permanent. So will probably wait for another firmware update before attempting to enter playlists again.

Please do share your experiences with the Dave if you decide to go that route. That is an exciting product. I only wish it had an ethernet port. Paired with the upscaler, wow.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #703 of 2,200
Now that we have update 1.13 for the cube, it can handle 1 terabyte sd cards. Does this mean we can use 2x 1 Tb cards (1 in each slot) in it or is it a total of 1Tb?

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #704 of 2,200
I heard today that its not possible to add downloaded Tidal music into the A&K player app

I think this cube will make me deaf soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back