Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 21, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #3,121 of 3,321
Lately A&K Jr is VERY cheap in Hong Kong, as cheap as ~HK$1000, which is about US$130. So I am now seriously considering go try and grab one. I am aware of the problem that it cannot be used as usb dac with Win 10, but then I won't use this feature so it is not a deal breaker. However I do see many comments about the laggy UI, is it acceptable after the system update? Also I saw someone complaining the power button is too sensitive, is it a common problem out there? Or in short is there any major flaw on the design and built of it? Is the sound significantly better than the other entry level DAP like Cayin N3, Sony A35 or Aune M1S? Thx

May 21, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #3,122 of 3,321
Lately A&K Jr is VERY cheap in Hong Kong, as cheap as ~HK$1000, which is about US$130. So I am now seriously considering go try and grab one. I am aware of the problem that it cannot be used as usb dac with Win 10, but then I won't use this feature so it is not a deal breaker. However I do see many comments about the laggy UI, is it acceptable after the system update? Also I saw someone complaining the power button is too sensitive, is it a common problem out there? Or in short is there any major flaw on the design and built of it? Is the sound significantly better than the other entry level DAP like Cayin N3, Sony A35 or Aune M1S? Thx

Why get a USD$130 AK Jr (a 2 years older model and buggy you read ), when you can get a USD$150 Cayin N3 (current model, less buggy with more bell and whistles)?

Unless...you have auditioned both and decide that you love the AK Jr sound more.

As a AK Jr owner, I'm ok with the UI (a little slow but fine for me). Power button is ok for me, never too sensitive. As for USB DAC, I somehow managed to get it to work with my Win 7 HP Laptop (not all ports), my Win 7 Acer PC (also not all ports) but not on my Win 10 Asus Transformer.

I use the AK Jr because I need to have a different (sound flavour) DAP as I also owned few other DAPs. Besides, I like the AK Jr sound and it's form factor.
If this is going to be your only DAP, I think it'll be wise that you look at the current models instead.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3,123 of 3,321
Is this Hong Kong seller global? Do you have a link?

May 21, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,124 of 3,321
Is this Hong Kong seller global? Do you have a link?

Not really, it is the "cash price" and on the bill it still mention the suggested price to keep the warranty. So it should not be something global. However I think that might because there is a upcoming new model, so the price should be dropping everywhere sooner or later.

Why get a USD$130 AK Jr (a 2 years older model and buggy you read ), when you can get a USD$150 Cayin N3 (current model, less buggy with more bell and whistles)?

Unless...you have auditioned both and decide that you love the AK Jr sound more.

As a AK Jr owner, I'm ok with the UI (a little slow but fine for me). Power button is ok for me, never too sensitive. As for USB DAC, I somehow managed to get it to work with my Win 7 HP Laptop (not all ports), my Win 7 Acer PC (also not all ports) but not on my Win 10 Asus Transformer.

I use the AK Jr because I need to have a different (sound flavour) DAP as I also owned few other DAPs. Besides, I like the AK Jr sound and it's form factor.
If this is going to be your only DAP, I think it'll be wise that you look at the current models instead.

Thanks man, that is what I was also wondering. Cause those entry level are using AK4490EN dac which is newer and has more feature(I mainly only listen to Flac tho). Just that I am really curious about Jr's performance as it was still popular last year and being compared with Fiio X7/ DX 90.

May 28, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #3,125 of 3,321
Just read some interesting stuff about USB in another thread that could explain why the Jr.'s DAC feature is so troublesome:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/i...ly-grail-of-audio.839638/page-7#post-13516358

"It turned out that that the latest Intel chipset's USB3.0 hardware was actually not 100% backwards compatible with the USB2.0 standard."

"The bottom line was that there were millions of machines out there and more coming by the day, with USB systems that had USB2.0 broken on the (often only) USB3.0 ports and not only our products, but every product using XMOS Audio ended up not working.

"There was a workaround in disabling the USB3.0 hardware in the BIOS for Windows and a by far more involved sequence of actions on Apple Macs. In practice, it proved difficult to convince our customers that the fault lay with Intel and that they needed to disable USB3.0 (even if they were not using any USB3.0 devices)."

May 29, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #3,128 of 3,321
I'm also from Hong Kong and have the opportunity to get the AK Jr for a really cheap price (130USD). I've never used a DAP before, and have been just using my iPhone 5s as my sound source so far. I'm also planning to get a pair of Shure SE846 later, so would the AK Jr be a substantial improvement as a first purchase? Or are there any DAP alternatives at this price range I should be considering?

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #3,133 of 3,321
I bought mine two days ago. I still need to test it but the first impression has been really good. The user interface doesn't seem to be that bad as I've read on the internet, but I've already find out that it doesn't work with cue files which is a shame.
Even if it has the same DAC as my DX50 it looks like that it sounds better.
I need also to try if the internal amplifier is better or not than my FiiO E12 and E18.

I was uncertain between the JR, the DX80 our the FiiO X5 II or III.

Also forgot to mention that I need to try the DAC functionality with Windows10

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,134 of 3,321
Hi all, I'm experiencing a really dangerous behavior of my Jr. It Happends randomly that the volume gets really loud (60 to 75) without any notice and since I use mostly CIEM this can be harmful for my ears.
I've noticed that this seems to happen more frequently when I set the volume with the weel when the display is off and if I try to regulate it once the the screen turns on. Also after powering on the dap this happens.

Anyone has experienced the same? I've already set the block to the wheel but this is still happening.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #3,135 of 3,321
Hi all, I'm experiencing a really dangerous behavior of my Jr. It Happends randomly that the volume gets really loud (60 to 75) without any notice and since I use mostly CIEM this can be harmful for my ears.
I've noticed that this seems to happen more frequently when I set the volume with the weel when the display is off and if I try to regulate it once the the screen turns on. Also after powering on the dap this happens.

Anyone has experienced the same? I've already set the block to the wheel but this is still happening.

Is the Line Out option turned on in the settings? If so, try turning it off. Shouldn't make any difference when using the volume wheel but if the onscreen Line Out button is accidentally touched while adjusting volume via the screen it automatically goes to the max 75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back