Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,717 of 3,321
  are they worth buying??

In my opinion not for interface/usability and support, last firmware last year. good sound and power also with bluetooh connection plus (for gym or other activities). For sure I'm not audiophile but I want to listen music quite well without problem, distorsions ecc, and the usability is really better on fiio x1 (for example) or lotoo paw 5000. In my opinion the buttons(click wheel or arrows) interfaces are better instead of touch interface. I know , almost all device with touch interface have android with more features (tidal and similar), bluetooth , wifi for update and browsing ecc.
Also the dac and power of AK JR in my opinion it's very good , I enjoyed my beyerdynamic 990 pro , but I think (specially in this periond) you can wind another dap with wolfson dac with better interface and low price. I ordered the new aune M2, the inferface it's simple but quick and I suppose it sound good as AK JR or better.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,718 of 3,321
In my opinion not for interface/usability and support, last firmware last year. good sound and power also with bluetooh connection plus (for gym or other activities). For sure I'm not audiophile but I want to listen music quite well without problem, distorsions ecc, and the usability is really better on fiio x1 (for example) or lotoo paw 5000. In my opinion the buttons(click wheel or arrows) interfaces are better instead of touch interface. I know , almost all device with touch interface have android with more features (tidal and similar), bluetooth , wifi for update and browsing ecc.
Also the dac and power of AK JR in my opinion it's very good , I enjoyed my beyerdynamic 990 pro , but I think (specially in this periond) you can wind another dap with wolfson dac with better interface and low price. I ordered the new aune M2, the inferface it's simple but quick and I suppose it sound good as AK JR or better.
should i buy ibasso dx80 or this or any other around this price

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,719 of 3,321
Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] I also have windows 10 but I also tried it on the ground level laptop with windows 7 and does not go if I can not solve I will ask the return of my money we hope that someone help us otherwise send it back.[/color]

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,720 of 3,321
  What operative system do you have???.
I have the same issue with my pc with windows 10 with usb 2.0 and 3.0. With windows 7 work with usb 2.0, I never try the 3.0 on windows 7.
In any case the AK jr soud good but the interface and the usb dac feature also has problems. I'm very disappointed about that and I will never buy an Astell and Kern product. 470 Euros for this??? (used on amazon), no thank you.

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] I also have windows 10 but I also tried it on the ground level laptop with windows 7 and does not go if I can not solve I will ask the return of my money we hope that someone help us otherwise send it back.[/color]

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #2,723 of 3,321
  I am a new user and greeting everyone I bought a Astell and kern ak j I connected with USB 2.0 (USB 3.0 ports also have on my system) the reader to use it as dac in system devices is properly detected as speaker iriver usb dac if I select speaker test not hear the sound it is I who am wrong or my system does not accept jr as dac?

Make sure you install the drivers included within your Jr, or any other AK DAP for the matter.  This is not obvious and caused a lot of headaches for a lot of people.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #2,725 of 3,321
  only usb 2.0

On usb 2.0 must to work, I have tried and it work with ak jr firmware 1.03.
opeen your pc (better if it's connected to internet) , start your dap, connect the usb cable on pc and on dap , and you see a message (on dap ) if you want to : recharge, file transfer or use dap.
Tap to use like a dap and check if on your pc there is the new audio device on : start-computer- right click on computer- manage and go to device manager. you must to see the iriver usb dac.
loo this image below:

if you see this , the driver is installed (usually automatic from os).
you must only to select the proper playback device. With windows 7 work, with windows 10 don't work the audio instead of correct driver installed.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,726 of 3,321
  Make sure you install the drivers included within your Jr, or any other AK DAP for the matter.  This is not obvious and caused a lot of headaches for a lot of people.

at this time and I 'happened that I updated the driver taking him from system folders that there' in ak jr putting it on the desktop and it says that the driver and 'then updated after I attached headphones to ak jr I opened VLC mediaplayer on compiuter by starting a song I am listening with headphones on ak jr 'so it needs to function?

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2,728 of 3,321
Anyone else having issues with AK Jr skipping in the middle of FLAC songs and getting a "file format not supported" error mid-song and going to the next song? I've used the same microSD on 3 different DAPs and the AK JR seems to be the only one having these issues. I'd say one ever 10 or so songs I loaded on the microSD is getting this error. If I manually advance the song past the error point it continues to play the song to the end, so some exact point of the songs seems to be bugging out the AK Jr. I tried loading the problematic songs directly on the AK Jr from a archival source (my media storage drive) and get the same problem, so it's not the microSD for sure.

I'm on 1.02 firmware btw.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #2,729 of 3,321
I've got a question if anyone is willing. I'm choosing between the AK JR and the Ipod Touch 6th Generation. I imagine the Ipod Touch wins on UI. I'm also tempted because I can use it with a Tidal subscription.On the other hand, I don't need to convert flac files to ALAC w/ the AK JR. But What do you think about the sound quality? I did a quick search through this thread, but didn't read any pros/cons regarding sound quality. Personally, the dream dap has a replaceable battery... but oh well. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #2,730 of 3,321
Hello to all,
someone know the output power of AK Jr ??? For example 100 mW (16 Ω/THD<1%) like fiio description in order to compare other product about power? I found only on official website, this spec : 1.95 Vrms but I don't know if is this the right parameter to understand the real power /volume when I read the daps specifications.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back