Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,321

doublea71

Headphoneus Supremus
This one has me excited - a beautiful A&K product that is very pocketable and competitively priced (sort of). I think it looks terrific, but we need to hear from the lucky ones to get an idea about its sound.
It will retail for $500 USD and feature the Wolfson WM8740 DAC chip, 1 microSD slot, and 64GB of internal memory. Sure, the Fiio is much cheaper, but this looks a lot better to me....the links are to their Japanese site, so see what google translate can do for you until we have an English version.

http://www.iriver.jp/information/entry_806.php
http://www.iriver.jp/products/product_111.php

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 3,321
'Far and away' the best looking AK yet IMO (by far).

My fingers are still crossed for TIDAL/Spotify support though.

If the SQ matches similarly priced opposition I WILL BUY ONE

But only if it supports TIDAL/Spotify.....

THOSE ARE MY TERMS ASTELL AND KERN, WHAT SAY YE?

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 3,321
It looks nice, but it has its limitations. I haven't seen anything on battery life yet.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 3,321
How many hours does it last per charge?

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 3,321
Liquid crystals displays operate by reflecting light at specific angles to generate colors that correspond to the rgb signal. When black the screen still outputs light. This constant mechanical motions and constant light generation generates emi signals that influences the analog signal. Remember that dac signal before the I/V stage is weak.

Oleds produce color by sending electricity to specific edmiting diodes and only when they need to be lit. So less noise due to less steps

Edit stupid tiny phone buttons, keep pressing submit

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 3,321
its not just the screen its the power supply,

Its no secrete that AC is more efficient than DC (higher voltage, less energy loss, less heat) so usually all electronics that need efficiency will use ac powe. So almost all tech (screens included) are optimized for AC power.  However AC current isn't good for fidelity of continuous signal (analog), so you need both for the design of this dap and the more energy you need for other none audio related processes the more switching of the linear battery power you will have to do (which also generates noise) and the more shielding (and cost cutting doesn't allow to be completely mitigate). 

So kids we reach the crux of all designs, the thing that keeps iphones size daps from sounding like a yggy+rag setup, power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back