Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #1,053 of 1,058
Hi Everyone,

New user here, sorry to bump an old thread (I'm not allowed to create!), but I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the Tidal issue?

I understand Tidal won't work on the MK70 any more (and other services won't either), but you can use AK Connect to connect Tidal from your phone.

Does this solution work well? Can the hotspot on the phone be used as the carrier between the player and the Connect App whilst the phone itself streams from Tidal? Sounds like a lot going on there.

If this doesn't work are there any other streaming sources for these players?

Always wanted to be in the club but don't have much dinero.

Thanks

Ian

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,054 of 1,058
Welcome to Head-Fi :) I would use the traditional greeting, "sorry about your wallet" but you seem to have pre-empted that already! The 'club' is not exclusive, however, welcoming headphone users of every age and of every means. I hope you enjoy your time on the forums and your headphone journey.

I didn't know Tidal no longer works on the AK70; I moved from Tidal to Qobuz a while ago, so only use my AK70 MkII with music files on a SD card. Having now looked on their website, this seems to be a Tidal issue, not wanting to work with older Android builds. It appears as though an update to AK Connect, enabling a workaround by using a smartphone or tablet, is pending: https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/ne...ith-embedded-tidal-app-on-astell-kern-players

Just a thought, have you checked to see if AK Connect on your AK 70 recognises Tidal on your smartphone? Alternatively, you might think about getting an Audioquest Dragonfly to work with your smartphone, which would also open up other music streaming services.

Otherwise, try contacting AK support: https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center There is a contact button at the bottom of the page.

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,055 of 1,058
Thanks for this, it was very helpful.

I did have the red dragonfly which I loved until it vanished, it led me on a long hunt for ever better quality, but I tend to buy as cheaply as I can, and i noticed recently eBay became flooded with ‘unexpectedly cheap’ players which all seem to be from the android no longer supported set. Bit naughty really but I suppose that’s tech.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,056 of 1,058
Thanks for this, it was very helpful.

I did have the red dragonfly which I loved until it vanished, it led me on a long hunt for ever better quality, but I tend to buy as cheaply as I can, and i noticed recently eBay became flooded with ‘unexpectedly cheap’ players which all seem to be from the android no longer supported set. Bit naughty really but I suppose that’s tech.
Pleased I could help, only sorry to hear about your Dragonfly. Agree, tech is always becoming obsolete, either by accident or, more commonly these days, by design. I have upgraded my headphone system over the years through the combined purchase of new, used and ex-demo gear and will continue to do so but am always wary of the 'too good to be true' offers!

Dec 16, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,057 of 1,058
Just an update I connected my iPhone to my AK70mk2 via a micro usb to usb a adapter and a regular usb to lightning cable and I wasn’t able to get it to function as dac/amp for Spotify, YouTube etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back