Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Sep 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #46 of 1,058
I like the AK sound... had a JR and currently have a black AK70 (not a fan of misty mint!). I was pondering an upgrade to something different, so I think I know where I'm going next.

Be interested to see some comparison reviews in the next few weeks.

Huge fan of the AK sound, to me it's pretty much perfect- almost neutral with great musicality/naturalness and great dynamics and massive detail with a nice big stage and great layrering. The timing and prat are also excellent. No weak spots in the sound imo.

I currently have the misty mint ak70 and was going to order the obsidian black because I love the unit so much, but now I'm awaiting mkII impressions and reviews. I haven't noticed much difference (if any) from a dual dac compared to a good single dac so far (dx90 opus 1) ... But then again I didn't expect the ak70 to sound so good with the single cs4398, so who knows what they can do with 2. :wink:

One thing I have learned about daps, it's more about implementation and the amp circuit then it is about what dac you have. Because my fiio x3 2nd gen had the same dac as my ak70 but sounded nothing like the 70. The ak70 pretty much made the x3ii it's bitch lol. All that extra $$$ wasn't just about build and looks, they deliver on clean,dynamic, and crystal clear sound.

So yeah I'm a big AK fan.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #47 of 1,058
Right... I could resist.

Pre-ordered the MkII, so should arrive around 20 October. Hopefully the case will be launched in UK stores around the same sort of time as I hate not having my devices properly protected.

10 month old black AK70 with case will be up for sale shortly, so feel free to make me an offer :wink:

lol just read this after I posted, I await your impressions with great interest! And to the guy with the kann, I can't in all honesty call the ak70 'warm' it has great bass response, but really detailed and nicely extended treble so they might be different sound sigs within the ak line. In my experience the akm dacs are a bit warmer than the cs4398. But still really nice.

Oh and London gec, it looks like they did away with the pattern on the back of the II? It's hard to tell from the pics so far. Can't wait for actual comparisons to ver 1! 2 mil thick isn't much difference and 150 grams is still really quite light.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #48 of 1,058
Pricing will not be the determining factor - AK is the Apple of the DAP world where everyone else are Android makers,...........

Everyone else are Android ????

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #49 of 1,058
Kann guy here lol,,
Just reiterate I love the kann even her astectics feels great in hand, being a newbie and my first dap, kann sound is amazing to me.but was wondering how the mk 2, AK 70 will sound.
If anything probably get sp1000.
My dealer told me when I choose kann over, 300 series it's about how ak tunes not about how many dac chips
Of course I'm new but to daps
Is AK releasing a new 240 series
Traveling soon to audiophile shop soon to listen to sp 1000
I think ak doing good

Love my new hobby

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #51 of 1,058
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #52 of 1,058
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #53 of 1,058
The AK70 MKII looks like a fantastic device, if the original version is anything to go by.

The dual DAC versions of their players have a touch more clarity and detail than their single DAC counterparts, but often, these differences are hard to detect. Thankfully, AK kept the price tag on the MKII a lot more reasonable.

In any case, I wonder how AK's product segmentation will play out right now. We were told that there would be 2 other "A&xxx" categories after "A&ultima". I thought the AK70 would be done for, but yet, here we are.

@JasonNYC Is the AK70 MKII going to be repositioned into one of these "A&xxx" categories?

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #54 of 1,058
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #56 of 1,058
Just to be sure is Ak70 II rear of Dark Blue color looks like it on all picture i seen
Black on front and side and Dark blue Glasslike on rear?
Well, this question should be directed at @JasonNYC, but yeah, I think that's it - dark blue on the back. :)

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #57 of 1,058
It's not usually a colour combination that I am generally fond of but I have to admit, I do like the new colourway, it's very classy, especially with that glass layer on the back.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #58 of 1,058
64GB plus one micro SD slot.
This is a Japanese website, but you can see the memory description on the 3rd line in the table:
http://www.iriver.jp/products/product_152.php#2

Thanks for this, so I guess it's a smidge wider than 70 besides being thicker. I guess it also has the pattern on the back like the original 70, just not as noticeable -maybe because of the colour? The knurliing pattern on the volume knob looks different too.

I think it looks pretty sweet, but I have to hear impressions on what the extra dac and stuff, well how it relates to practical listening anyways. It's not like I find the sound of ak70 lacking, and the misty mint has slowly grown on me , looks nice in the black case.

I guess this means we will be seeing ak70 v1 at a discount soon, I would think so. Also this pretty much ensures no more firmware updates for original ak70? I would love to have the resume feature resume from where you are in the song, not start at the beginning of the song- that is my only complaint with ak70. Hmm, also wondering about battery life, the battery has more juice but dual dacs might chew up more processing power.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #59 of 1,058
Another comparison photo between AK70mk2 and AK70 on a Japanese website (different from the other one in my previous post).
They said it sounded very close to AK240. They really liked the beefed up amplifier section.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1080487.html

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #60 of 1,058
Another comparison photo between AK70mk2 and AK70 on a Japanese website (different from the other one in my previous post).
They said it sounded very close to AK240. They really liked the beefed up amplifier section.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1080487.html

Thanks again for the info, I take it you can understand Japanese. I used Google translate (horrible for Japanese) and it almost seems this model is warmer/beefier than ak70 but then it seems he says it's thin sounding on the lower end compared to ak 240 if I'm getting that right. I can see I will probably buying this anyways, lol, only 100 more dollars than ak70.

I have the feeling quite a few ak70 will be for sale for good prices on here :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back