Astell&Kern AK380
May 8, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #8,702 of 9,040
I have my Sandisk 400Gb working perfectly formatted as FAT32.

May 8, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #8,705 of 9,040
Anyone know what the largest micro sd card can be used with the ak380? My sandisk 400gb card keeps getting read as "damaged."

I've had my Micro SD card show as damaged when moving it between AK players. I just repaired it in Windows, e.g.

sd-card-recovery-5.jpg

May 12, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #8,707 of 9,040
Ok, I have a 'damaged card. it's teh 400 sandisk. What do I do? Do I need to download it all again? I don't even remember how, lol. This is frustrating to say the least. I don't know why it did this. Thanks

May 13, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #8,708 of 9,040
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some recommendations, as I live in the UK not always to demo all options. I have the AK 380 in Copper with Copper Amplifier.

Looking for recommendations for non Custom IEM budget £1000 to £2,000

Custom IEM same type of budget

Open backed Headphone for home use same type of budget.

Cheers

May 13, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #8,709 of 9,040
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some recommendations, as I live in the UK not always to demo all options. I have the AK 380 in Copper with Copper Amplifier.

Looking for recommendations for non Custom IEM budget £1000 to £2,000

Custom IEM same type of budget

Open backed Headphone for home use same type of budget.

Cheers

I don't know what you enjoy listening to, but I listened to everything at the show and I also worked with Nic, who is my headgear mentor (I help him get to know 2 channel). I came away with the Empire Ear Phantom's. They are about as close to a 2 channel reference as I have found in the IEM world. If you need more bass and sparkle on top, the Legend X is outstanding. I have the Sure KSE 1500's in right now and like them for short periods of time. They are typical of stats in that they lack any low or sub bass, but what they have is clean and tuneful. GREAT and unveiled mids and high for days. They are a bit too bright for my ears, but many love them. I also enjoyed the 64 Trio's better than the other 64's. I'm getting them in within the next month or two.

I too own the 380 and amp copper. I also use my Ayre QX5/20 Server/DAC/AMP in single mode as it's the best DAC/AMP I've heard on can's so far (and I've heard Well's and other top amps). Those IEM's scale BIG time and don't run out of steam at all.

I have auditioned most of the can's (I have been using cans since 1969) out there. Most in my system. I have mostly used the Ayre, but I also use the AK when I'm not in my listening room. I ended up getting a pair of ZMF Ori's. I felt tonally they were better than the Audeze LCD 4's as well as the TOTL Hifiman, Utopia's and all the new high end Stat based cans (I just sold my long time Stax Lambda Pro's). I have also owned Sennheisers (their US HQ is only 30 minutes away and I used to be friends with their US VP of Sales) from the 580's (daughter's) and 600's (sons now). I find them a bit peaky and lacking any sub bass. I've heard all their new ones and it's just their house sound.

The brand new ZMF Auteur's are open back and beautiful to boot. My buddy and I felt they were tied as best in show with the Kennerton Odin's (the new ones that are lighter weight). Odin's are a special headphone for sure, but are expensive. If they are in your range, you must give them an audition. I will be selling my Ori's as I no longer even use can's as I have my Phantom's for travel outside the house, lol.

We all listen differently and for me I come from the 2 channel world and want tonally accurate, large (real) soundstage, great layering and imaging with full extension on both ends. I get fatigued very easily adn can't handle and transducer that will fatigue me. There are too many great products out there and to me if something is great, it will play all genres of music great. I know that doesn't fly in the personal audio world, but that's why I love teh Ori's and the Phantom's as I listen to dance music, orchestral, acoustic, vocal's, lot's of rock from hard to soft to metal, blues and Jazz. I have covered most every genre. I own well over 5TB of music and my new server/DAC that I will be getting in the next couple of weeks will have 15TB or more installed (and on external drive). Most everything is in Hi REZ (including live concerts or production that is in 32/384 DXD and 2X DSD). I don't even know how my friend got some of these recordings, but man are they something special.

Just my humble opinions.

May 24, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #8,710 of 9,040
Massdrop deal ongoing.
Price could be better (1500$ would certainly be nicer than 1999$).

Appaling comments from MD community: saying it's too expensive is one thing, but freely bashing is another...
But you'll be glad to know that X5iii and DP-X1A are so much better, it seems. :disappointed:

May 24, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #8,711 of 9,040
Massdrop deal ongoing.

Appaling comments from MD community: saying it's too expensive is one thing, but freely bashing is another...
But you'll be glad to know that X5iii and DP-X1A are so much better, it seems. :disappointed:
I always love the comment section of MD :)

May 30, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #8,714 of 9,040
Massdrop deal ongoing.

Oh, hi tienbasse. I was just over here reading up on the actual SD card capacity supported by the ak380 and recognized your handle.

You took quite a beating over there on the MD forums, but thanks for showing up. I ended up joining the drop, in part because you and a couple other rational people showed up and provided helpful bits of info. In addition to great sound, the ability to stream, the capacity to handle large libraries (both storage capacity and UI that scales), and even Bluetooth operation all add significant value to me and helped to justify the drop price.

FWIW, I'm upgrading from an iPod Classic whose battery has finally faded to the point of being unusable. I also joined the drop for Noble K10 CIEMs, for which I have been looking for a quality DAP. No matter how you slice it, the ak380 is seriously upping my portable game. And, well, if it's not the ultimate sound for the price, I suppose I'll just have to make due with Ayre QB9-DSD + Stax combo at home....

All that to say that you were spot on about different people having different needs and tastes; the drop was a good match for me after doing my homework and researching more than a few competitors. So thanks again for helping me to make an informed decision.

Cheers!
Speleo,
...another "rich a-hole" who doesn't know the value of $2000 (is limited to what some loud, rude person tells me it is)

May 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #8,715 of 9,040
Don't worry mate, I've answered on MD because I was a little pissed seeing such a concentration of stupidity, but i's not worth answering every idiot, otherwise I would spend 2 hours a day over there.

What made me answer is not so much people spouting nonsense, it is the specific idiot who was just insulting potential buyers before concluding that people were free to spend their money how they wanted. A lack of politeness should at least grant people a temporary ban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back