Astell&Kern AK380
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #8,553 of 9,040
Anyone here have experience charging problem with ak380?mine doesnt want to charge...

1.) Check that wallwart (charger) is actually working providing electrical output to another device (not your 380).
2.) Make sure you use the AK USB cord, other USB cords may not work.
3.) Check USB cord connectors by connecting your 380 to your computer - does it read the internal data? If not, the cord may have bad connector(s) and you will need a new USB cord.

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #8,554 of 9,040
1.) Check that wallwart (charger) is actually working providing electrical output to another device (not your 380).
2.) Make sure you use the AK USB cord, other USB cords may not work.
3.) Check USB cord connectors by connecting your 380 to your computer - does it read the internal data? If not, the cord may have bad connector(s) and you will need a new USB cord.

Hello mark,

I tried using other charger but still the same..before when i try to switch on my 380 there is a battery icon flashing.i think now the battery is already drain.

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #8,555 of 9,040
Hello mark,

I tried using other charger but still the same..before when i try to switch on my 380 there is a battery icon flashing.i think now the battery is already drain.
The battery icon is displayed when the player is being charged while it is switched off. I have no issues charging my AK380 from a variety of chargers and USB cables, so don't worry about that.

Just keep it charging for a few hours, and try turning it on. Let us know if it resolves the issue.

Hello,

Do you know if there is a way to have the clock on the top right corner in 24 hours format ?
Thanks
Unfortunately, I don't think there has ever been a way to do that.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #8,556 of 9,040
I tried charging it with different charger but still it wont switch on...does anyone have experience with ak customer service?i havent visited headfi for the last 2yrs.i remember that time ak customer service are hard to deal with..

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #8,557 of 9,040
I tried charging it with different charger but still it wont switch on...does anyone have experience with ak customer service?i havent visited headfi for the last 2yrs.i remember that time ak customer service are hard to deal with..
@zniper2984 Just sent you a PM.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 20, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #8,558 of 9,040
Anyone know how to solve these 2 issues?

1. Albums not listing in alphabetical order within an artist? They list alphabetically within pure album view, so the tags are definitely correct.

2. Different album art showing for the album preview as opposed to when the album is selected. Have tagged certain albums with new artwork, but the AK only recognised that art when you’ve actually selected the album. In preview it still shows the old artwork on some albums.

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #8,559 of 9,040
Hi All, I am seeking some advice: I'm thinking of selling my Ak240 and upgrading to the AK380 (brand new), the gap is around $1200 AU. Has anyone made this upgrade? Was it worth it? Would you do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Dolphy

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #8,560 of 9,040
Hi All, I am seeking some advice: I'm thinking of selling my Ak240 and upgrading to the AK380 (brand new), the gap is around $1200 AU. Has anyone made this upgrade? Was it worth it? Would you do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Dolphy

I upgraded from a regular ak240 to a black ak380 earlier this year when my ak240 had to go back to A&K for a replacement battery, the incentive was so I was not without a player for six weeks. I use mine with a pair of custom JH Roxannes. Luckily A&K sent me a brand new ak240 instead of fixing mine and I sold it for a decent price, so in the end the upgrade cost around AU$700, which was worth it to me for having a player for the six weeks.

IMO the ak380 offers a slight upgrade in performance, but I would not personally spend AU$1200 for the improvement (better separation, slightly more refined bass) if I was in your position, Id be more inclined to wait for the sp1000 to reduce in price. I tried the sp1000 when buying the ak380, it was AU$5000 instead of AU$2500 for the ak380, so out of my budget, but it was the superior player IMO, it has a more effortless presentation than the ak380 probably due to the extra power, and is a very clear step up from the ak240. I find the size of the ak240 to be more manageable than the ak380, and had I not had to send it off I would still be using it now, and would be waiting for the inevitable drop in price on the sp1000.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #8,562 of 9,040
Just finished playing with my new setup. AK380CU with matching AK Amp and HD 800's. I bought Black Dragon Premium cables in a 5ft length terminated for the AK balanced output. Absolutely incredible combination.

The one thing I have found with AK products is they are supper sensitive to cable choice. big thick cables degrade the sound while, thin short cables provide the best listening from my experience. I bought the Crystal cable mini-to-mini jack for the car and was so taken back by the change it only took about 30 seconds to say "yup worth the $300".

Anybody else noticed the AK'S sensitivity to cables

Does your observation regarding thin cables extend to ciem's and headphones or just car audio?

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #8,563 of 9,040
Does your observation regarding thin cables extend to ciem's and headphones or just car audio?

in general I have found that thinner and shorter work better with the AK's

I am sure my headphone experience came from the shorter cable, while the car experience came from the thinner. I spend a lot on home audio and in most cases a cable change have produced mild changes at best. these cables changes with the AK were stunning. In the car environment I tried an audio quest cable and was not amused. I moved to a $10 monster cable (thinner) and the results were significant. the audio quest was returned to the store. I used the $10 monster for several months until I damaged it. I bought the crystal on a whim. I do not regret that whim. from the moment I plugged it in the sound change was noted.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8,564 of 9,040
in general I have found that thinner and shorter work better with the AK's

I am sure my headphone experience came from the shorter cable, while the car experience came from the thinner. I spend a lot on home audio and in most cases a cable change have produced mild changes at best. these cables changes with the AK were stunning. In the car environment I tried an audio quest cable and was not amused. I moved to a $10 monster cable (thinner) and the results were significant. the audio quest was returned to the store. I used the $10 monster for several months until I damaged it. I bought the crystal on a whim. I do not regret that whim. from the moment I plugged it in the sound change was noted.

I´ve used Moon Audio Silver Dragons + Balanced, ALO Ref8 + Balanced, Crystal Cable Piccolino, Brise Audio Murakumo6, Brimar Audio Labs Supreme Reference Monarch (Grand Master) and OmniKing. The best is definitely the OmniKing, but it also costs an arm and a leg! AK380 + OmniKing + Shure KSE1500 = Nirvana..... :v:

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #8,565 of 9,040
Hello,

Anyone using following combination,

AK380cu (copper) + non-copper AK300 amp?

Is this an okay combination to use as?

Or, is the non-copper amp defeats whatever whatever edge the AK380cu has?

I'm using Focal Elear at the moment. And Utopia perhaps in the near future. I believe these headphones really don't need the amp. But the HD800S may, as well as other headphones.

Thought i would pick one up now before they are gone.

But if the non-copper will not serve any purpose to AK380cu, then no point spending the money, even if it is for future proof investment.

Thoughts?

Thanks much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back