Astell&Kern AK380
May 18, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #8,314 of 9,040
On my way to MUNICH . :) :wink:

May 22, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #8,317 of 9,040
And they know there are a couple of thousand people who will throw their money at any new flagship AK DAP, regardless of price, regardless of specs. It's like a never-ending cash-cow for them.

Many will think I'm joking about this, but I'm not: I predict the AK380 won't sound substantially better than the PAW 5000.

A&K are so busy price-gouging, that they're forgetting that the sub-$1000 audiophile DAP market is rapidly improving. Gone are the days (not so long ago) when SQ differences were larger between mid-market and high-end DAPs.

Actually. I was idly thinking about something else yesterday...

If a company had, say, a few hundred DAPs manufactured, but sales were slowing and the company had a new, unannounced, model nearing completion and release (which would inevitably slow sales of the older model even further), what could they do to stimulate sales of the older model, a few hundred units of which they were struggling to shift, just a couple of months before the new model was due out?

Well, it 'suddenly occurred' to me that one simple idea could be to simply repackage those few hundred DAPs in a shiny new casing, to appeal to bling-seekers. Stainless steel could be one material option.

Then, once those units had been shifted, the new model could be announced.

It would leave a few hundred customers feeling aggrieved, but hey - they're only faceless individuals with yet more money to throw at their audiophile obsessions when the newer model is released, just around the corner...

Anyway, this was all just day-dreaming in my mind, yesterday. I'm sure no real-life company would be so cynical as to do something like that.

I sent the AK240SS back for a refund. I still have my Questyle QP1R, which was 1/3 of the price. Very happy with it.

May 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #8,318 of 9,040
AK380 cu + amp cu still remain the best of all. Time and listening will show and tell.
I kept myself ne preciously. That think will come to miss on the market very very soon. And the few elected owners will start appreciate their cu combo more and more.

May 23, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #8,319 of 9,040
AK380 cu + amp cu still remain the best of all. Time and listening will show and tell.
I kept myself ne preciously. That think will come to miss on the market very very soon. And the few elected owners will start appreciate their cu combo more and more.

I would agree with you from the context of the total end to end chain. At this level of spend and performance, I find it quite an effort and cost to get everything "just right" to my personal tastes. When you consider the chain of audio file to DAC to amp to headphone cable to headphone, changing any one of the links comes at the risk. Alternatively, one could spend a lot of dollars on "upgrading" one of the links and get no tangible benefit. If I were to consider upgrading to the new SP1000, I would only do it if I were prepared to revisit everything in my current chain.

May 30, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #8,324 of 9,040
Hi guys... Quick question. Anyone found a way to maintain AK380cu shine after polishing. Does copper protector e.g., tarnish blocker, help? or would these chemical affects the sound quality? Or should I just give up on polishing? Lol
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back