Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #8,191 of 9,040
I had problems using AFT to transfer files from internal memory to SD card - assumed it was AFT issue. I laid my problems bare a couple of weeks ago on this forum. If the issue is with AK, they should get it sorted - I'll bet a great many AK owners use Macs. Thinking of getting a windows laptop for future file movement (it would be useful for some other things - I wouldn't buy one just for this). 

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8,192 of 9,040
Trying out my CU stack with Oriolus Forsteni, I get slight different sounds with and without amp:

No amp - straight from the AK380 CU, the mids have a little more weight and highs are a little laid back
Thru amp - little tighter bass, mids a little leaner, highs more sparkle and edge

Both are balanced out.

I think I prefer no amp with the Forsteni which is cool since I got these for pure travel purposes. However, with my Laylas it's thru amp or nothing. Just an amazing combo.

Why the Forsteni? It suits my listening tastes and happen to fit flush in my ears like a custom. I use sound proof ear muffs (normally used at gun ranges) to slip over my ears with the Forsteni inserted. I estimate this creates -50 dB or more sound deadening which is awesome given the 80+ dB noise on planes. Obviously this is impossible with the Laylas!

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #8,193 of 9,040
For so many times, whenever i lock the dap and hold it in my hand i sometimes get surprised that it is either playing the next song or into random folder, that is the screen didn't switch off ( locked off ) i always says duh i pressed the lock button twice mistakenly or it is way sensitive. However, today i discovered that if the screen is on and you press the lock button while you are touching the screen, the screen will automatically switch off then on... as far as i remember i have not read something related in the user manual. Which is quite odd!!! If someone experience the same thing please aware me:D

Hope this helps.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #8,194 of 9,040
one more odd thing. This time it happened with my ak240ss as well as my ak380cu.

sometime whenever i remove the SE cable from the dap i see red light coming from the SE port. which is again veryyyyy odd, especially that none mentioned it :O

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #8,195 of 9,040
one more odd thing. This time it happened with my ak240ss as well as my ak380cu.

sometime whenever i remove the SE cable from the dap i see red light coming from the SE port. which is again veryyyyy odd, especially that none mentioned it :O
That's because it also functions as an optical output.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #8,198 of 9,040
  Trying out my CU stack with Oriolus Forsteni, I get slight different sounds with and without amp:

No amp - straight from the AK380 CU, the mids have a little more weight and highs are a little laid back
Thru amp - little tighter bass, mids a little leaner, highs more sparkle and edge

Both are balanced out.

I think I prefer no amp with the Forsteni which is cool since I got these for pure travel purposes. However, with my Laylas it's thru amp or nothing. Just an amazing combo.

Why the Forsteni? It suits my listening tastes and happen to fit flush in my ears like a custom. I use sound proof ear muffs (normally used at gun ranges) to slip over my ears with the Forsteni inserted. I estimate this creates -50 dB or more sound deadening which is awesome given the 80+ dB noise on planes. Obviously this is impossible with the Laylas!

Nice. Really nice.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #8,199 of 9,040
i cant find any option in the dap that would make it play optical output :frowning2:

There is no need for any option, it's basically plug and play. The AK will just optical out if you plug a optical cable to a external DAC.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #8,200 of 9,040
If you want to believe how "small" the AK380 is, just use the AK Amp for about 3 months and then go back to just the AK380. It will seem tiny and so light!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back