Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 15, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #8,176 of 9,040
Nice - coz I pre-ordered one without hearing it after reading about the tech and a couple of initial reviews. How would you rate it against the Shure stats (which I was not impressed with) and the Layla, or K10? Just tuning difference, or a step above them? 

Mm...initial impression: the KSE 1500 sounds thin compared with the Fourte.The Shure key strenght is clarity and speed but the bass (lack of) can be problematic (depending on the genre). I don't have the K10. Against the Layla (I have the Layla 1), I need to do a side-by-side comparison but the tuning, if I had to guess, is somewhat similar. Also, if I had to guess, the bass quantity would be the same at the 12 or 1 o'clock position of the bass adjuster of the Layla 1.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #8,178 of 9,040
I actually like U18 more than TiaForte with ak380cu+amp cu.
I'm not really a fan of either the U18 or the TiaFourte, I don't feel the prices are justified, especially with the Fourte.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #8,181 of 9,040
Any Mac users here also totally frustrated with Android File Transfer and AK's software? Im returning my player today and I hope they'll fix this some time, after which I may switch back.

I can transfer between 6 and 18 tracks before it hangs and dies, requiring disconnect/reconnect or even a reboot. At more than 6k tracks, I couldn't take it anymore.

I have gone so far as to build my own software, and lo and behold its an issue with AK and not MTP and Macs.

If you're a Mac user, please take a look at this thread where Im trying to drum up support for getting them to fix their stack.

Please, no PC vs Mac trolling or "Discussion"

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #8,182 of 9,040
It is all subejctive I guess, can we justify the price of the 380 for example?
I don't own an AK380, but if I had the cash to buy one, I would. However, I would not for the TiaFourte, I believe the similarly priced Empire Ears X Effect Audio - "Arthur" is much, much better. My review of the Arthur will be posted soon.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #8,183 of 9,040
I don't own an AK380, but if I had the cash to buy one, I would. However, I would not for the TiaFourte, I believe the similarly priced Empire Ears X Effect Audio - "Arthur" is much, much better. My review of the Arthur will be posted soon.

if you have the opportunity, listen to it first before paying.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #8,184 of 9,040
  Any Mac users here also totally frustrated with Android File Transfer and AK's software? Im returning my player today and I hope they'll fix this some time, after which I may switch back.

I can transfer between 6 and 18 tracks before it hangs and dies, requiring disconnect/reconnect or even a reboot. At more than 6k tracks, I couldn't take it anymore.

I have gone so far as to build my own software, and lo and behold its an issue with AK and not MTP and Macs.

If you're a Mac user, please take a look at this thread where Im trying to drum up support for getting them to fix their stack.

Please, no PC vs Mac trolling or "Discussion"

Never had it this bad with my AK240, but frequent disconnects. On the AK380, no issues at all on my Mac. I copied a full 500 GB of files in 2 clicks - one for internal and one for SD card. Also, it's only a pain on the initial copying as ongoing copying of albums as I purchase them pose no challenges at all. From that standpoint, I personally would not want to pay for a more elaborate utility.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #8,185 of 9,040
[COLOR=111111]if you have the opportunity, listen to it first before paying.[/COLOR]
I've had the opportunity to listen to every product that I have talked about. I wouldn't say something if I hadn't.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #8,186 of 9,040
Never had it this bad with my AK240, but frequent disconnects. On the AK380, no issues at all on my Mac. I copied a full 500 GB of files in 2 clicks - one for internal and one for SD card. Also, it's only a pain on the initial copying as ongoing copying of albums as I purchase them pose no challenges at all. From that standpoint, I personally would not want to pay for a more elaborate utility.

I just want them to fix the OS. Had problems on AK100II, AK300 as wel

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #8,187 of 9,040
I just want them to fix the OS. Had problems on AK100II, AK300 as wel

It's not a "fix". Mac OS does not support MTP and will likely never support MTP. It's up to app developers to come up with a better solution. You would have much better luck convincing AK to come up with one.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #8,188 of 9,040

It's not a "fix". Mac OS does not support MTP and will likely never support MTP. It's up to app developers to come up with a better solution. You would have much better luck convincing AK to come up with one.

It's absolutely a fix thats required.

I am NOT saying they need to trash MTP and do something else.
I am more than willing to use Android File Transfer but their old MTP stack in their customized Android OS has old bugs that badly affect these tools.

3rd party tools that they link to and recommend on Macs all have issues (copies around 12 songs before crashing) whereas using those exact same tools on an Onkyo DP-X1, also running android, has zero issues with thousands of songs.

I want them to fix their MTP implementation.

Its absolutely an issue with the AK implementation of MTP under their highly customized OS.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #8,189 of 9,040

It's absolutely a fix thats required.

I am NOT saying they need to trash MTP and do something else.
I am more than willing to use Android File Transfer but their old MTP stack in their customized Android OS has old bugs that badly affect these tools.

3rd party tools that they link to and recommend on Macs all have issues (copies around 12 songs before crashing) whereas using those exact same tools on an Onkyo DP-X1, also running android, has zero issues with thousands of songs.

I want them to fix their MTP implementation.

Its absolutely an issue with the AK implementation of MTP under their highly customized OS.

I think we are saying the same thing. I just want to make it clear who we should yell at. Mac OS has no MTP stack so nothing to "fix" with Mac OS. The "fix" will have to come from:

Apple - why no MTP support like Windows?

AFT - Google owns this, but in my own experience both AK380 and Sony Xperia Z5 phone work flawlessly so doubt fix is here. Good that you mentioned Onkyo because I had one briefly and can't remember having any issues either. However, it has not been updated since 2012 so who's to say there's no issues here?

AK - custom os and/or hardware implementation. I personally would agree this is where the likely issue stands. I've tried 3rd party MTP apps with the AK240 and did not have a good experience either.

Take your pick

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #8,190 of 9,040
I think we are saying the same thing. I just want to make it clear who we should yell at. Mac OS has no MTP stack so nothing to "fix" with Mac OS. The "fix" will have to come from:

Apple - why no MTP support like Windows?

AFT - Google owns this, but in my own experience both AK380 and Sony Xperia Z5 phone work flawlessly so doubt fix is here. Good that you mentioned Onkyo because I had one briefly and can't remember having any issues either. However, it has not been updated since 2012 so who's to say there's no issues here?

AK - custom os and/or hardware implementation. I personally would agree this is where the likely issue stands. I've tried 3rd party MTP apps with the AK240 and did not have a good experience either.

Take your pick

Vendors that are using android as their operating system will have to use MTP, otherwise they have to create their own solutions and will have fragmentation.

The answer is for them to fix the MTP code, and the fixes are clearly already in the Google Android code base.

There is an alternate version of android file transfer that's actively in development that I am helping build and provide for OSX which is way better but still stumbles on AK devices. Its the basis for the tests I link to and want to provide to AK. Its totally open (GPLv3 license) and current.

Http://Jeremy.laurenson.com/AFTOSX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back