Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 10, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #6,632 of 9,040

It's probably not all that fair for me to compare them since my AK380 Copper is defective. I reached out the WW Stereo the company I purchased it from and there support and has been outstanding and they have been very gracious and understanding of my problem. So full marks to them for handling my problem with utmost professionalism.

I sent it back this morning and will receive a replacement unit. I will likely keep both and leave the 240SS at my office.

I agree with you. I didn't necessarily like my RWAK240+ "better". It was different but not unilaterally better. I thought it lost some of that treble clarity, bass clarity and texture for the sake of a lower mid range - upper bass bump.

I actually found it bloated sounding at times. So I definitely wouldn't mod it again.

My AK240SS has that same bass impact and the same as the AK380 on single ended, but with a precision and delicacy that the RW unit did not have. While retaining the speed, treble clarity and air that the non-modded unit had.

So to my ears the AK240SS takes all the good of the AK240 and RW240 and you get it stock from the factory right out of the box. The stainless steel is gorgeous and has a very luxurious feel. And the special black suede case is the icing on the cake. Just a beautiful looking product.

So far my listening experience was on the SE output of the AK380 Cu. The Cu definitely had a wider sound stage, but it almost felt artifically wide. The 240SS on balanced although not as expansive sound stage wise, was more intimate but retaining outstanding imaging and instrument separation. They sound different, but until the replacement comes I won't be able to compare fairly.

There is just something intangible about the AK240 and now the AK240SS sound signature that is just so nice to me.

I also decided to keep the 1.18 firmware as prior to selling my RWAK240 I hated the AK380 style UI on the smaller AK240 screen. So even though Tidal is coming to the 240 as well, I'll use the AK380 for that.

The AK380 has a better UI but it's perfectly suited for that nicer larger screen where as I find the old AK240 UI perfect for its size screen.

Lastly I found that the AK240 and now AK240SS home screen button is much more reliable and precise. At times my 380 Copper would not respond when pushing the home button. I think that feature also works better on the AK240.

But make no mistake, the AK380 has a much nicer screen, appropriately sized, a better UI, better volume wheel etc.

Thank you for taking the trouble of informing us of your thoughts, eserafinojr. I'm beginning to wish I'd stuck with a 240 :)

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #6,633 of 9,040
Can you suggest a good cable with a balanced end for my Shure SE846? I'm wanting to upgrade my cable but I don't want to purchase through moon audio because I can't justify paying that amount of money for a cable and to keep cost low.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #6,634 of 9,040
Can you suggest a good cable with a balanced end for my Shure SE846? I'm wanting to upgrade my cable but I don't want to purchase through moon audio because I can't justify paying that amount of money for a cable and to keep cost low.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaofan-handmade-Headphone-wire-DIY-8-Core-Cable-for-Shure-im50im07q460se215se535-headset-upgrade-line-Earphone-line/32680317665.html
I don't know if it is a good cable but it looks like.
i ordered one which is on the way 2.5MM balanced TRSS!

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #6,635 of 9,040

Here is the balanced cable I use with my Shure's and AK-

https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/ultra-thin-balanced-cable-1.html?___SID=U

It can be found for less

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6,636 of 9,040
Oct 10, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6,637 of 9,040
Here is the balanced cable I use with my Shure's and AK-

https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/ultra-thin-balanced-cable-1.html?___SID=U

It can be found for less
Thank you, do you hear a noticeable difference between the stock cable and this one?

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #6,641 of 9,040

Enjoy the music now

give it to us and we will enjoy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #6,642 of 9,040
  give it to us and we will enjoy.
biggrin.gif

LOL!

Speaking of which I look forward to getting my replacement unit. I have high hopes for it.

A&K did a great job with the larger screen, improved volume wheel (although I prefer where it's located on the AK240) and UI which is the best in class for DAPs.

Less is more, you see everything you need and have access to everything you need and none of the clutter or useless stuff like with other DAPs.

That is the strength of their proprietary Android based UI IMHO.

But If there was one thing I would like them to add would be to show the file format / bitrate next to where it displays the #  bits and sample rate, perhaps in a slightly smaller font size.

Or at least one of the two. Just as it does with DSD except it omits the amount of bits since everyone know it's a 1 bit format.

Just a nitpick!

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #6,644 of 9,040

LOL!

Speaking of which I look forward to getting my replacement unit. I have high hopes for it.

A&K did a great job with the larger screen, improved volume wheel (although I prefer where it's located on the AK240) and UI which is the best in class for DAPs.

Less is more, you see everything you need and have access to everything you need and none of the clutter or useless stuff like with other DAPs.

That is the strength of their proprietary Android based UI IMHO.

But If there was one thing I would like them to add would be to show the file format / bitrate next to where it displays the #  bits and sample rate, perhaps in a slightly smaller font size.

Or at least one of the two. Just as it does with DSD except it omits the amount of bits since everyone know it's a 1 bit format.

Just a nitpick!

my friend was 240>>380, he believes that 240 sounded better than 380.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back