Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 6, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #6,601 of 9,039

Yes, this was my intention also - all that I've read about FLAC suggests it is truly lossless - but some say you'd be better off with a lesser DAP if only listening to FLAC. 

Having never listened to WAV, AIFF or DSD, can you really hear a difference and, if so, is it worth the larger files?

I haven't downloaded any DSD files (don't even know if they're available for download) but I've downloaded other formats and ripped to WAV. Personally I can hear no difference between WAV, AIFF, FLAC etc. However, I dislike WAV as, even using the AK Ripper, WAV files often have the album art missing (and it's only using the AK Ripper that I've ever managed to have ANY WAV files with album art). And as I, personally, hear no difference, I can't justify the lack of art and the extra size. I don't doubt that others may hear a difference, but personally, I can't.

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #6,602 of 9,039
  I haven't downloaded any DSD files (don't even know if they're available for download) but I've downloaded other formats and ripped to WAV. Personally I can hear no difference between WAV, AIFF, FLAC etc. However, I dislike WAV as, even using the AK Ripper, WAV files often have the album art missing (and it's only using the AK Ripper that I've ever managed to have ANY WAV files with album art). And as I, personally, hear no difference, I can't justify the lack of art and the extra size. I don't doubt that others may hear a difference, but personally, I can't.

I only have one, and I repeat, ONE single DSD album, which makes for a rather small sample size, but I do think that the DSD does sound a little more, textured and distinct in its separation. Then again, it may just be placebo effect, because I would be rather annoyed that a 640mb song file would sound little different from a normal FLAC. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #6,603 of 9,039

I only have one, and I repeat, ONE single DSD album, which makes for a rather small sample size, but I do think that the DSD does sound a little more, textured and distinct in its separation. Then again, it may just be placebo effect, because I would be rather annoyed that a 640mb song file would sound little different from a normal FLAC. 

Well, size isn't everything, as they say - or, rather, format isn't. I have a FLAC copy of a track from Topographic Oceans (Yes) in 24/192 which my 380 tells me is: FLAC/744.39mb. (The Remembering.)

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #6,604 of 9,039
Any AK380Cu owners attending the RMAF Canjam this Saturday?

I know A&K is exhibiting, But I am not sure if they will have a Copper version for demo..

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #6,605 of 9,039
hi guys,

i just noticed that my screen got something like fade-to-white spot around bottom edge screen area. I took this picture in the dark room so it can be captured clearly (even clearer if we see in person), if under the sunlight or the room is bright enough, it would be hardly to see. This soft white spot only visible especially during the booting process or when i switch off my device where the screen go dark. That white spot is not visible on the screen when device is playing.

Do you think this is normal? I am worried sooner or later this problem is getting worse. Anyone know what happen to my screen? I never drop/bumb my 380..i keep it good. Thanks!

heres the sample.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #6,608 of 9,039
So I took delivery of the AK380 Copper today. It's a beautiful product.

Missed my RWAK240+ ever since I sold it last year. The DP-X1 isn't the same.

Really like the bigger screen over the 240 though.

But I am having an issue with brief static noise when I pause a track and massive clipping and distortion on the balanced output when giving it any kind of modest volume.

The Single Ended output doesn't have the clipping and distortion problem.

It sounds very nice, not as much "air" as the AK240, but the sound stage is larger. Can't say it's really that much of an upgrade over my AK240 sound wise. I also think the AK240 sounded faster from my memory as well.

But this issue with the balanced output is immensely dissapointing for a DAP of this price.

What do you guys recommend I do? Call up A&K?

My AK240 never had clipping and distortion on its balanced output.

Right now not sold I made the right decision, might have been better off buying a AK240SS...

I have the copper amp coming this week, but for traveling I won't use the amp.

It actually drives the Ether C and LCD-XC pretty well. But I have to use them single ended since they distrort and clip above 100 volume on balanced!!!

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #6,610 of 9,039
Yep.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #6,611 of 9,039
Theres also clipping on higher frequency...

All of my music is lossless and purchased from online stores.

This thing HAS to be defective. Sending it back for another one...

I contacted A&K and the dealer informimg them of my problem!!

This shouldnt happen with the price they ask for this product... immensely frustrating.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #6,612 of 9,039
So I took delivery of the AK380 Copper today. It's a beautiful product.

Missed my RWAK240+ ever since I sold it last year. The DP-X1 isn't the same.

Really like the bigger screen over the 240 though.

But I am having an issue with brief static noise when I pause a track and massive clipping and distortion on the balanced output when giving it any kind of modest volume.

The Single Ended output doesn't have the clipping and distortion problem.

It sounds very nice, not as much "air" as the AK240, but the sound stage is larger. Can't say it's really that much of an upgrade over my AK240 sound wise. I also think the AK240 sounded faster from my memory as well.

But this issue with the balanced output is immensely dissapointing for a DAP of this price.

What do you guys recommend I do? Call up A&K?

My AK240 never had clipping and distortion on its balanced output.

Right now not sold I made the right decision, might have been better off buying a AK240SS...

I have the copper amp coming this week, but for traveling I won't use the amp.

It actually drives the Ether C and LCD-XC pretty well. But I have to use them single ended since they distrort and clip above 100 volume on balanced!!!

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!

My 240 used to have a sort of 'static' distortion whenever I had the screen 'live' and text scrolling (track title, band name &etc.) I waited for several FW updates to see if they fixed the issue but none ever did. Which is why I eventually 'upgraded' to the 380. But, as you suggest, I'm not convinced that my 380 sounds any better (or perhaps even as 'good') as my 240. I like the amp and ripper though.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #6,613 of 9,039
Interesting.

Well im stuck listening on single ended and the AK380 just sounds a little veiled to me.

The sound stage is very wide but almost to the point I find it sounding cluttered.

I'm gonna buy the 240SS, exchange this 380 copper for a non-defective one. And see which one I like more and sell the one I like less.

Really a shame....

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #6,614 of 9,039
Interesting.

Well im stuck listening on single ended and the AK380 just sounds a little veiled to me.

The sound stage is very wide but almost to the point I find it sounding cluttered.

I'm gonna buy the 240SS, exchange this 380 copper for a non-defective one. And see which one I like more and sell the one I like less.

Really a shame....

Hope that I'm not opening a can of worms, but the player does take a little while to open up. My previous 380 black, and current CU, each took about a month of constant run time (yes, I left it playing 24hrs a day) before the haze finally cleared up. 

As for the technical problem, try and revert to the old 1.23/24 firmwares. Those firmwares had very little to no stability issues. Yes, you lose tidal and DAC out function, but tidal on a player on this caliber, like the Sony 1Z, is just silly. 

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #6,615 of 9,039
I don't doubt that at all.

Just remember a little more clarity and speed on my 240.

BTW how do I revert?

I tried the settings reset and factory data reset and it keeps saying version 1.32.

It had 1.19 stock but I didnt listen to the player until I updated to the latest firmware right after I opened it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back