Astell&Kern AK380
Sep 10, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #6,361 of 9,040
Hi all Ak380 owner

In coming a week I'm would join in this big Ak380 family but now I'm had some question, in past I'm go to the shop to test the copper and normal version with my andromeda, in my ears I'm can distinguish those, there is the question, I'm love both sound but the copper is more warn and clear than the normal, but the price different between is over HKD10,000 ( both had amp ), if I'm just bought the copper it can save over HKD5,000, this 5,000 I'm can upgrade the IEM soon, but I'm afraid I'll regret soon so could any one give me some suggest follow the price for reference.

1: 2 hands Copper HKD22,000 still had warranty to Feb 2017 

2: New from China Taobao HKD21,400 but if you had any problem you need send back to them and let them send back to Korea

3: 2 hands black with amp ( should be without warranty ) HKD23,000

4: 2 hands normal with amp ( without warranty ) HKD18,500

Thousand thanks

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #6,362 of 9,040
Hi all Ak380 owner

In coming a week I'm would join in this big Ak380 family but now I'm had some question, in past I'm go to the shop to test the copper and normal version with my andromeda, in my ears I'm can distinguish those, there is the question, I'm love both sound but the copper is more warn and clear than the normal, but the price different between is over HKD10,000 ( both had amp ), if I'm just bought the copper it can save over HKD5,000, this 5,000 I'm can upgrade the IEM soon, but I'm afraid I'll regret soon so could any one give me some suggest follow the price for reference.

2: New from China Taobao HKD21,400 but if you had any problem you need send back to them and let them send back to Korea

Thousand thanks

I suggest you wait if you are looking to own a high end/flagship DAC. Since astrll&kern will be releasing one soon in first quarter of 2017.

So keep saving till that time so you will be able to afford the new flagship plus a higher IEM than you are considering right now.

If if you are rich the story is different. Get the copper version since it is one of a kind as i heard.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #6,363 of 9,040
I have a question. Hope someone one can help me out here. On my AK380 can I run a USB into my Oppo BDP-105 blu-ray player for sound through my Bose home theater system? Instead of using the AK connect? Hope that info help
Thanks in advance

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #6,365 of 9,040
Speculation or do you actually know something?
I mean it would make sense, since they enabled USB output.

Alex An himself informed the community about not releasing a flagship not until Q1 of 2017 after A&K chain release of copper, black.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #6,366 of 9,040
Hi all Ak380 owner

Thousand thanks

I was at the same situation. But price difference was not my main concern. I concern more to the color, weight, and extra care for the copper surface (otherwise green patina will appear which imo is darn ugly)...i decided to get the black+amp and i did. And i never regret about it. I prefer black color much better than raw copper (not to mention the copper color will change later on)

The black 380 came with red leathercase, i dont like it too. So i bought the black leathercase together. They are perfect! No regret at all.

U must know, copper version and black version, both are GREAT SOUNDING DAP. so it depends which preference u like.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #6,367 of 9,040
I suggest you wait if you are looking to own a high end/flagship DAC. Since astrll&kern will be releasing one soon in first quarter of 2017.

So keep saving till that time so you will be able to afford the new flagship plus a higher IEM than you are considering right now.

If if you are rich the story is different. Get the copper version since it is one of a kind as i heard.

Thanks Eroica4th I'm hear this information too, if they release the new one, this is the good news because may had a lot of 2 hands release in market, the price will drop more. Back to your second point I'm not rich and I'm just want to get one high end DAC and finish my puzzle, now I'm use Onkyo DP-X1 + Campfire Andromeda w/Plus Sound X Series Silver + Gold 2.5 TRRS, the IEM I'm love it in future may be one or two years later may change so at this moment I'm not looking the IEM.

At last if I bought the 380 at this time, the future of one to two years my setting is still in high level, I'm believe that.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #6,368 of 9,040
hmmm, the balanced output of my ak380 suddenly conked out. sound only comes out of the right channel while left channel is dead silent.

have tried with a new cable and iem, same results.

there is also nothing wrong with the 3.5mm output (which im using now).

has anyone experienced this before ?

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #6,369 of 9,040
Thanks Eroica4th I'm hear this information too, if they release the new one, this is the good news because may had a lot of 2 hands release in market, the price will drop more. Back to your second point I'm not rich and I'm just want to get one high end DAC and finish my puzzle, now I'm use Onkyo DP-X1 + Campfire Andromeda w/Plus Sound X Series Silver + Gold 2.5 TRRS, the IEM I'm love it in future may be one or two years later may change so at this moment I'm not looking the IEM.

At last if I bought the 380 at this time, the future of one to two years my setting is still in high level, I'm believe that.
ksc75smile.gif

From what I'm reading, I assume (and feel free to correct me) that your priorities are:

1) Sound quality
2) Cost
3) Future proofing (at least for a while)

If you don't mind, I'd share my most frank thoughts with you. It appears that you like how the Copper sounds yes? Then I would just get the Copper and be done with it. The reason for my saying so is, chances are that if you get the Black or the regular AK380, you will always be thinking about "What if I had gotten the Copper instead..."

Additionally, if you get the Black / Regular and should they sound different to your ears, then you will forever be longing to get the Copper. I say this because I have a close buddy who was in the same exact situation as you are now. He liked how the Copper sounded but he bought a regular AK380 to save some money. He was happy for a short moment but was always bothered with "What if I had gotten the Copper..."

And after 2 months, he traded in the regular unit for a used Copper...made some losses (which was avoidable had he gotten the Copper from the start) but remains happy to this day.

If you have heard all the different AK380 variants and still feel the Copper is best for your ears, then you already have your answer :)

All the best.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #6,370 of 9,040
hmmm, the balanced output of my ak380 suddenly conked out. sound only comes out of the right channel while left channel is dead silent.

have tried with a new cable and iem, same results.

there is also nothing wrong with the 3.5mm output (which im using now).

has anyone experienced this before ?

Sounds like an issue with the jack since you've tried different cables and IEMs. Is balanced your main driver and do you regularly plug into / unplug from it? I understand the 2.5mm TRRS jack is a little fragile. I think I've only used it a couple times on mine. Still prefer the single ended for both sonics and reliability reasons. Hopefully the others have something to chime in that can help ya out.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #6,371 of 9,040
I was at the same situation. But price difference was not my main concern. I concern more to the color, weight, and extra care for the copper surface (otherwise green patina will appear which imo is darn ugly)...i decided to get the black+amp and i did. And i never regret about it. I prefer black color much better than raw copper (not to mention the copper color will change later on)

The black 380 came with red leathercase, i dont like it too. So i bought the black leathercase together. They are perfect! No regret at all.

U must know, copper version and black version, both are GREAT SOUNDING DAP. so it depends which preference u like.

Thanks muzic4life, the colour and weight is little bit trouble for copper, in past I'm try the copper without the amp, it also fit my ears at this moment if I buy the new copper I'll wait for the 2 hands amp, in my propose if I bought 380 with amp, the amp will stay in home for head phone.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #6,372 of 9,040
Sounds like an issue with the jack since you've tried different cables and IEMs. Is balanced your main driver and do you regularly plug into / unplug from it? I understand the 2.5mm TRRS jack is a little fragile. I think I've only used it a couple times on mine. Still prefer the single ended for both sonics and reliability reasons. Hopefully the others have something to chime in that can help ya out.

unfortunately its my main driver and i do plug/unplug from it regularly :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #6,373 of 9,040
Hi 

ksc75smile.gif[color=

From what I'm reading, I assume (and feel free to correct me) that your priorities are:

1) Sound quality
2) Cost
3) Future proofing (at least for a while)

If you don't mind, I'd share my most frank thoughts with you. It appears that you like how the Copper sounds yes? Then I would just get the Copper and be done with it. The reason for my saying so is, chances are that if you get the Black or the regular AK380, you will always be thinking about "What if I had gotten the Copper instead..."

Additionally, if you get the Black / Regular and should they sound different to your ears, then you will forever be longing to get the Copper. I say this because I have a close buddy who was in the same exact situation as you are now. He liked how the Copper sounded but he bought a regular AK380 to save some money. He was happy for a short moment but was always bothered with "What if I had gotten the Copper..."

And after 2 months, he traded in the regular unit for a used Copper...made some losses (which was avoidable had he gotten the Copper from the start) but remains happy to this day.

If you have heard all the different AK380 variants and still feel the Copper is best for your ears, then you already have your answer
smily_headphones1.gif

All the best.

Hi etteoh you say my voice, I'm also afraid that case "What if I had gotten the Copper...", may I know did you or other brother will bring the copper with amp every day ? or just use the amp in home ?

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #6,374 of 9,040
Thanks muzic4life, the colour and weight is little bit trouble for copper, in past I'm try the copper without the amp, it also fit my ears at this moment if I buy the new copper I'll wait for the 2 hands amp, in my propose if I bought 380 with amp, the amp will stay in home for head phone.

The sound still remain great, even without amp. Using amp, the sound-color is slightly different. Many say is better with amp, but imo, i would rather say it's different than to say better. Some songs i listen, i prefer it without amp, and mostly, i use my player without amp, and i still enjoy the sound with no feeling of reduced in sound quality.

Speaking of its driving-power-wise, pls do try and listen, with vs without amp, i really dont think the driving-power of 380 is really much increased with amp (if any, its only small step up in volume). My point is, imho, ak380+amp, i would say, it is still not so approprite to drive headphones, unless your headphones are easy-moderate to drive one (let say up to 80-100ohm maybe). If u gonna use something above 150ohm, i think will not be good. It still can voice the music, but in very minimum driving authority.

Just my 1 cent. Cheers.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #6,375 of 9,040
unfortunately its my main driver and i do plug/unplug from it regularly
frown.gif

I'm sorry man but it really does look like a jack issue to me. You've done everything that I would also personally do to verify the functionality and at this point, I'm going to go with the jack. It's also one of those things that I would be more than happy to be proven wrong. I hate jack issues (this from a former user of a DP-X1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back