Astell&Kern AK380
Sep 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #6,302 of 9,040
I have stability issue with FW 1.25. it's hung sometimes. The player was running but no sound. And it happened usually when i play dsd music. So for example after i play flac then i changed to different album which was dsd, it's hung. The player still running but no sound. It's been 4th times now. I need to do power off and on to make it work normal.

Has anybody experienced like this before?

Thanks!

Nb. I think my problem called the intermittent silence issue. I thought they already solved this in their previous FW :frowning2:

I've been same problem

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #6,303 of 9,040
It is working for me... I tried gapless on a couple of albums... So far.. So good.

I am a happy camper.

I find it hard to believe.  Gapless doesn't work on AK. Unless you have a different definition of gapless.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #6,304 of 9,040
  I find it hard to believe.  Gapless doesn't work on AK. Unless you have a different definition of gapless.

When I listen to Floyd and Dark side of the moon with gapless on it seems to do what supposed to for me....i.e. each song plays as one big song with no gap.

Can it be song/recording dependant?

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #6,306 of 9,040

When I listen to Floyd and Dark side of the moon with gapless on it seems to do what supposed to for me....i.e. each song plays as one big song with no gap.

Can it be song/recording dependant?

I don't know.  I have 600 Gb of music and I have not experience once that two songs will play as one continuously.  Hope other 380 users can chime i but I have not heard it once.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #6,307 of 9,040
It is interesting that Sony's sound engineer also chooses OF copper as chassis material to "improve" sonic qualities for their TOTL dap...

https://youtu.be/NJOolmwYK_4

Food for thought........

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #6,308 of 9,040
Hi everyone, just got the 380cu for a few days and been enjoying it very much.

Anyone knows if the USB dac feature works on window 10, I could'nt find the driver for window 10 at AK website.

Please help!
Many thanks in advance

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #6,309 of 9,040
It is interesting that Sony's sound engineer also chooses OF copper as chassis material to "improve" sonic qualities for their TOTL dap...

Food for thought........

Do you know the word marketing?

Sony too is the company telling that different sd cards sound different and that high res (ouch) has benefits over normal CD, even though the scientific community (of which Sony's engineers are too member of) agrees that it has no benefits. So yeah maybe we can expect a crystal being implemented to make the sound much clearer some time? Let the measurements and tests decide what it matters :)

/offtopic

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #6,310 of 9,040

Sony too is the company telling that different sd cards sound different and that high res (ouch) has benefits over normal CD, even though the scientific community (of which Sony's engineers are too member of) agrees that it has no benefits. So yeah maybe we can expect a crystal being implemented to make the sound much clearer some time? Let the measurements and tests decide what it matters :)

/offtopic

Actually the SD card is on topic as some have demo-ed it on their AK380s here in the forums. But this is your reply post so maybe you want to explain the justification of your own position instead - i.e. have you tried the Sony MicroSD for premium sound yourself and what did you find? If not please refer to Posting Guidelines.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #6,311 of 9,040

Food for thought........

/offtopic

When mentioning science, or "the scientific community" (which a considerable number of my family are qualified members of) then you need to provide proper sources for your comments. If there is a consensus, derived from experiments by independent researchers, then you should be able to link to the papers written on the topic. At the very least, someone should have measured, with sufficient equipment, the output of a DAP playing back the same track from both a regular micro SD card and one of the Sony low-noise cards.

Specifically, the description of the card, roughly translated from Japanese states:

Weak electrical noise that occurs when the file is read from the microSD memory card, depending on the structure of the audio playback equipment, may adversely affect the components and circuit, from which which may cause sound degredation. With this product, while maintaining the specifications of the Class10 microSD memory card, by controlling the cause of the electrical noise via adjustment of the electrical circuit, it succeeded in reducing the electrical noise generated from the microSD memory card.

The effect of electrical noise on audio circuits is well-known in audio engineering. Without any experience of having used or tested one of these cards, at the very least the concept makes sense to me and I'd certainly be interested if someone qualified were to take the time to properly test one -- in an AK380 especially, as that is the topic of this thread, not rants about stuff one thinks is BS for no substantiated reason. 
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #6,312 of 9,040
When mentioning science, or "the scientific community" (which a considerable number of my family are qualified members of) then you need to provide proper sources for your comments. If there is a consensus, derived from experiments by independent researchers, then you should be able to link to the papers written on the topic. At the very least, someone should have measured, with sufficient equipment, the output of a DAP playing back the same track from both a regular micro SD card and one of the Sony low-noise cards.

Specifically, the description of the card, roughly translated from Japanese states:

The effect of electrical noise on audio circuits is well-known in audio engineering. Without any experience of having used or tested one of these cards, at the very least the concept makes sense to me and I'd certainly be interested if someone qualified were to take the time to properly test one -- in an AK380 especially, as that is the topic of this thread, not rants about stuff one thinks is BS for no substantiated reason. :p  

Agreed, Currawong! Vague and unsubstantiated broad sweeping statements do not contribute in any constructive way to our community. :)

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #6,314 of 9,040
I've been same problem

Easiest way to solve this problem is we need to do it slower when we move/change to different album. Dont rush the process otherwise is hang. I usually pick my song from "album" tab. After we click it..the song list (with album thumnails) will appear..just wait until all the thumnails fully appeared then hit the song..then it should be fine.

This only happened when i play dsd. The system seems run slower when process the dsd. Other files are ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back