Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,326 of 9,040
I tried the AK380 AMP with the HE1000 and the volume on high sensitivity had to be turned as high as without AMP. Is this normal. For the moment I didn't buy the AMP for that reason. Even had the impression that the AK380 sounded better without AMP.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2,327 of 9,040
  I tried the AK380 AMP with the HE1000 and the volume on high sensitivity had to be turned as high as without AMP. Is this normal. For the moment I didn't buy the AMP for that reason. Even had the impression that the AK380 sounded better without AMP.

Well my HE1Ks without amp I've had up to max....150. With high gain on AMP  about 103.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #2,328 of 9,040

At CanJam London, I also did not noticed any volume increase between with and without the Amp. This was through the SE output.  It looks like the AMP bring any improvement only on the Balanced 2,5 plug ? no ?

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,330 of 9,040
Can someone compare the optical out of the 380 vs the 120?

Picked up a 120 for a great price, and want to know how much I'm going to be losing out on...

Presumably not $3200 worth of difference, but am still intruiged...

I think the difference shouldn't be much between the two if at all.  You can build an entire stax system for the monetary difference between the 120 vs. 380.  I personally will look into getting a really good optical cable first because the cheaper ones do not sound very good and the better one do make a nice impact.  This is less so on coaxial cable.  Also, maybe try the AK240 as a transport or the QP1R?

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #2,331 of 9,040

In the mean time I bought the AMP and it appears that the demo units that I previously tried (both in Korea and Taiwan) were not that good. With the AMP, that I bought, both SE and Balanced outputs are giving a higher output than on the AK380 without AMP, maybe a difference of approx. 20 units for the same volume. Am happy with the AMP now in combination with HE1000, TH900 and Layla.
BTW I am living close to Brugge.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,333 of 9,040
About burn in. I would say I'm bout 10 hrs into on it. Just gotten it last week. Does the burn in really make that much of a difference? To me I can somewhat tell each time I play a song a day later the SQ gets wider.or could just be me. Another question. Is it safe to have the player run through the USB port and let it play through a safe volume for bout 6 to 8 hrs a day through our headphones For a quicker burn in process? Also thanks for the few responds above.
Mike

I don't think a DAP needs burn in; when people speak of "burn in" they're really saying their ears are adjusting to the sound. Headphones can be a different story; e.g. the HE1000 manual recommends 150 hours burn in.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #2,334 of 9,040
  I don't think a DAP needs burn in; when people speak of "burn in" they're really saying their ears are adjusting to the sound. Headphones can be a different story; e.g. the HE1000 manual recommends 150 hours burn in.

And I think this is where we probably should end the burn-in (off-)topic. Different folks have different opinions and that's best to be carried out in the Sound Science section of the forum.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #2,335 of 9,040

And I think this is where we probably should end the burn-in (off-)topic. Different folks have different opinions and that's best to be carried out in the Sound Science section of the forum.

Or perhaps the Homeopathy section? 
biggrin.gif
 I actually didn't know that forum existed, I'll check it out, so thanks for the reference.

You are absolutely correct, this will digress this thread in terrible ways. So I will stick to my own personal experience only, and say that I did not notice any difference in sound whatsoever from any A&K product (AK100ii, AK120ii, AK380) after many hours of listening.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #2,337 of 9,040
Anyone using the AK380 notice a problem with 24bit/352 files sound stopping when changing tracks?  Only happens with this bit/freq files, and is easily reproduced.  Firmware version is 1.14.  When a file ends and the next file starts the play line/timer looks like it is working correctly, but no sounds is actually produced.  If you pause and start, or move the play line or fast forward slightly the sound kicks back in.  Trying to figure out if this is a universal firmware bug or a defect in my unit.  iRiver has not responded at all to my emails.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #2,338 of 9,040
  Anyone using the AK380 notice a problem with 24bit/352 files sound stopping when changing tracks?  Only happens with this bit/freq files, and is easily reproduced.  Firmware version is 1.14.  When a file ends and the next file starts the play line/timer looks like it is working correctly, but no sounds is actually produced.  If you pause and start, or move the play line or fast forward slightly the sound kicks back in.  Trying to figure out if this is a universal firmware bug or a defect in my unit.  iRiver has not responded at all to my emails.

I have exactly this problem but not only limited to 24bit/352 files. If you switch off gapless it's gone.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #2,340 of 9,040
Quick question on the AK380 10 band equalizer. Has anyone shared (or care to share) their settings for different headphones? I know this is very subjective but there may be headphones with well known frequency characteristics and adjusting to smooth out certain peaks or troughs may be interesting here. 

I was intrigued by the special (but unknown) settings for the T5P phones and hence trying to find the best way to use all the great features of this player.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back