Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 6, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #949 of 9,040

The SS is not a marketing ploy, it sounds better than the stock unit.

I will wait to get a RWAK380SS.   I am afraid the plain AK380SS may be not expensive enough to look serious in high society 
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #950 of 9,040
I will wait to get a RWAK380SS.   I am afraid the plain AK380SS may be not expensive enough to look serious in high society :wink:
...and that there is A&K's problem... how do people, seriously intent on purchasing any model (from the 100 up to the 380) know that their (in most cases, heavy) financial investment won't be wiped out three weeks later by there being a (as humourful example) AK380UnobtaniumMKII deluxe version...

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #951 of 9,040
...and that there is A&K's problem... how do people, seriously intent on purchasing any model (from the 100 up to the 380) know that their (in most cases, heavy) financial investment won't be wiped out three weeks later by there being a (as humourful example) AK380UnobtaniumMKII deluxe version...
Well "people" are indeed seriously questioning aforementioned purchase. And by people I mean me.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #952 of 9,040
Well "people" are indeed seriously questioning aforementioned purchase. And by people I mean me.

Funny thing is nobody has confirmed it sounds better than current Astell Flagship AK240SS. - Or did I miss something ?

IMO - I personally don't think its looks better than AK240SS.

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #953 of 9,040
Funny thing is nobody has confirmed it sounds better than current Astell Flagship AK240SS. - Or did I miss something ?

IMO - I personally don't think its looks better than AK240SS.
Well Alex An from AK said it sounds better...naturally.

And Anak seems to say it sounds somewhere between the RWAK240 and the Aurender Flow from what I recall.

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #954 of 9,040
Well Alex An from AK said it sounds better...naturally.

And Anak seems to say it sounds somewhere between the RWAK240 and the Aurender Flow from what I recall.

I think I will wait from some more detailed impartial reviews, my current interest level on this is low.
Hopefully some detailed reviews will change that view.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #955 of 9,040

Well I was hoping for a version in Tantalum maybe the 380 will have one. That would be the version I get

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #957 of 9,040
wt about comparing with 240SS??
confused.gif

Just brought a new toy today.

First impression sound a lot better than my AK240 using my Noble K10U.
Need more time to listen with my Layla to see which is better.

Wt about comparing with 240SS??
confused.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #958 of 9,040
Originally Posted by Edwood 

Had a chance to listen to the AK380 at the Newport show.  Listened to it with my custom Laylas.  The larger screen is nicer to navigate.  Going from a 240 to the 380 is going to be like going from an iPhone 5 to a iPhone 6 as far as size is concerned.  It's bigger and heavier for sure, but will probably be difficult to go back once you're used to the size and weight increase.  

As for sound quality, there is definitely more detail than the 240.  Midrange is improved, as it sounds a little warmer, a bit more musical.  The 240 was just too dry and dead sounding to me.  But the bass seems to be a bit recessed perhaps?  Didn't have enough time to do a detailed side by side comparison to other players.  Having slightly recessed bass on the player side is not a problem for JH Audio Roxanne, Layla, and Angie owners, though.  :wink:

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #959 of 9,040

I had a chance to compare both AK240SS and AK380. I have used DSD files (mostly classical) with a pair of Earsonics Velvet. I find the AK380 incredibly spacious. The soundstage is big and both bass and trebles are very nice. Bass are deeper and fuller (I use the Velvet in balanced mode) while the trebles are not harsh at all. However, I must say that the units I tried were literally out of the box (so no burn in). As for the AK240SS, although I enjoy its sense of naturalness, I found the soundstage more constrained. The sound of the AK240SS is engaging but, in my opinion, the AK380 flows better. I have not had a chance to connect both players to my Hugo (although I tried the AK240SS with the Hugo earlier, and it sounds nice) or try the related add-on amp. I will look forward to try again, hopefully spending more quality time with the AK380 and some other IEMs and full headphones (LCDs). I am also curious to see what the sound is like when the AK380 has played for a couple of hundred hours more...

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #960 of 9,040

I had a chance to compare both AK240SS and AK380. I have used DSD files (mostly classical) with a pair of Earsonics Velvet. I find the AK380 incredibly spacious. The soundstage is big and both bass and trebles are very nice. Bass are deeper and fuller (I use the Velvet in balanced mode) while the trebles are not harsh at all. However, I must say that the units I tried were literally out of the box (so no burn in). As for the AK240SS, although I enjoy its sense of naturalness, I found the soundstage more constrained. The sound of the AK240SS is engaging but, in my opinion, the AK380 flows better. I have not had a chance to connect both players to my Hugo (although I tried the AK240SS with the Hugo earlier, and it sounds nice) or try the related add-on amp. I will look forward to try again, hopefully spending more quality time with the AK380 and some other IEMs and full headphones (LCDs). I am also curious to see what the sound is like when the AK380 has played for a couple of hundred hours more...

I'm sure the 380 will sound even better with a few hundred hours of play. Thanks for sharing your view; I'm interested in hearing more about the differences between the 380 and the 240SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back