Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Jan 15, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #736 of 767
Yep tried that. It shows sound, the green bar in windows moves but no sound from the player. Also tried reinstalling it, each time it was fine and inatlled drivers and showed as it should in the sound list.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #737 of 767
What bit rate was it set to?  Try the standard 16/44.1.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #739 of 767
Tried all of the options. still nothing, its an odd one alright!

Just tested this on my system running Win10 Pro x64 and no sound.  So I guess the driver broke.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #740 of 767
Hi. Im a noob and I'm planning to buy my first audiophile rig next month with the AK 120 on it. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried pairing it with the chord mojo and the sennheiser HD 700? I usually listen to classical music, alternative rock, 80's and early 90's music. Thanks

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #741 of 767
Hi. Im a noob and I'm planning to buy my first audiophile rig next month with the AK 120 on it. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried pairing it with the chord mojo and the sennheiser HD 700? I usually listen to classical music, alternative rock, 80's and early 90's music. Thanks

I'm using the AK120 with the Chord Mojo.  Astounding sound!!

Of course, the AK120 is only being used as a transport in this case, ouputting a digital signal to the Mojo.  Most in the Mojo thread seem to think the AK units make the best transports for the Mojo -- not sure if that's the case but it's a fine pairing. You will also need an optical cable from the Ak120 to the Mojo (AK units only have optical digital ouput.) While there a cheap toslink cables, for better sound spend the extra bucks and get the sysconcept cable or the Moon Audio. It makes a difference.

I like the small size of the Ak120 which pairs well with the Mojo. Plus, FWIW, if you ever need it the Ak120 has very good sound by itself, just not as good as the Mojo.

Many have used the Mojo with the HD800 so I think using an HD700 would be no problem at all.

Once again: The sound from the Mojo is astounding!

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #743 of 767
This is a general question about DAC's and DAP's but as I own the AK120 I'm really talking about this specific player. My question is will adding a portable DAC and headphone amp (such as the chord Hugo) make a lot of the money I spent on the AK120 wasted? The big selling point is the Wolfson chips, so would the Hugo override them and solely use its own technology or would the two devices work together to produce the sound?

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #744 of 767
This is a general question about DAC's and DAP's but as I own the AK120 I'm really talking about this specific player. My question is will adding a portable DAC and headphone amp (such as the chord Hugo) make a lot of the money I spent on the AK120 wasted? The big selling point is the Wolfson chips, so would the Hugo override them and solely use its own technology or would the two devices work together to produce the sound?

In what you have described the DACs in the AK120 are not used since the DAC/Headphone Amp only takes a digital input signal. If you were to find one that had an analog input (line in), then the DAC in the DAC/Headphone Amp would not be used. Simple answer is that the AK120 just becomes a digital file transport that feeds the DAC/Headphone Amp (Hugo).

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #745 of 767
Thanks very much. It does make me wonder what people mean when they say things like "it is nicely paired with.."
Because if the Hugo (for instance) is the device converting the signal, then wouldn't any file of the same bitrate sound the same through it? I am a newbie here and don't want to question anyone else's expertise, I'm just trying to understand it a bit more in case browsing turns to buying.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #746 of 767
Hi there, I just wondered if you're still loving the AK120 and Mojo? Have you compares the Mojo using a different player?
Is the Mojo purely for portable stuff or could you connect it to a hifi and utilise the DAC?

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #747 of 767
Thanks very much. It does make me wonder what people mean when they say things like "it is nicely paired with.."
Because if the Hugo (for instance) is the device converting the signal, then wouldn't any file of the same bitrate sound the same through it? I am a newbie here and don't want to question anyone else's expertise, I'm just trying to understand it a bit more in case browsing turns to buying.

That depends on many things. Some players do some digital signal processing (DSP) like the AK120 EQ function or some Android players up sampling the digital signal before sending it out to the Hugo (using your example). Many Audiophiles can hear a difference in the various sources so the "nicely paired" comment means they like the combination. Also the method of connecting can allow some level of RF induced into the input of the Hugo.

Bottom line is a lot of subjective considerations best determined by your ears and what you like or expect to hear.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #748 of 767
Hi there, I just wondered if you're still loving the AK120 and Mojo? Have you compares the Mojo using a different player?
Is the Mojo purely for portable stuff or could you connect it to a hifi and utilise the DAC?

In my case, I purchased a used AK120 solely for its physical size, optical output and storage capability. I like the sound of the Mojo and those were my only real considerations in picking a transport to feed it. I have used a few different DAPs and my iPhone to feed the Mojo and I can not tell much of a difference. Of course, I am 69 and worked most of my early life around loud machinery.

The Mojo was designed as a portable DAC/Amp for use with people's mobile phones. It will take some time for people to decide if the battery on the Mojo can stand up to being always connected to the charger. Most of the information provided in the Chord Mojo thread would imply that it is not a problem. The potential for the Mojo getting hot exists in that use, but Chord says that it was designed to handle that and includes protection circuits to ensure it does not get too hot.

I use a second Mojo to listen to Tidal from my Mac through my headsets, but do not keep it plugged in all the time. When the battery indicator shows that it is below 50% I charge it when I am finished listening. I am sure it could be used to feed your hifi line in.

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #749 of 767

I have the ak120 and pair it with both a chord Hugo and a mojo, depending on the situation. Originally with the 120 though it was incredible when released but later down the line got to pair it with the Hugo, a/b back and forth. Hugo is stunning, best audio purchase I've ever made, and I've made a lot. I got the Mojo later for its portability and ease traveling with the sub charge port. Mojo is warmer sounding but not as detailed or open sounding. More enclosed maybe. Still Mojo is very good fore what it is but Hugo is even with a high end home dac. Both a good upgrade rout from 120, using 120 optical out.

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #750 of 767
What is the frequency of optical output for DSD playback? 88KHz like the AK100 or 176KHz like the AK100ii or AK70?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back