Astell&Kern AK Zero1 Hybrid IEM
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #32 of 78
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #33 of 78
4.4mm is not a want anymore, it is the standart. 2.5mm is mostly not needed.
Their DAPs still have 2.5mm....but even going for 4.4mm is the new standard (still in transition), it's another reason to push for new accessories sales, specially if they need to pay royalties to use Pentaconn.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #34 of 78
I'd love it if they were made in South Korea.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #35 of 78
I'd love it if they were made in South Korea.

I only recently found out they're a South Korean company. With the name I figured they were some hipster outfit out of Brooklyn.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #37 of 78
Same here. Not sure how groundbreaking it can be at that price but i hope it gives moondrop and thieaudio a run for their money
Not too sure about being able to surpass those brands. AK isnt really known to be "bang for the buck" compared to their competitors.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #38 of 78
Looking at the design more, the shape reminds me of ath ls series.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #40 of 78
The low price is surprising to me as well. This is their cheapest IEM on offer, currently along with the Dianas. And it's 100% in house which I believe is a first for AK. And a planar magnetic driver in an IEM is not very common at all. I wonder how it compares to electrostatic drivers used in the Chinese tribrid IEMs like my TSMR LANDs. If I had a guess I would say it should be a better bang for buck than Western IEM companies (since American labor is expensive + marketing cost). But it's not going to be as good value as Chinese IEMs for sure. Thieaudio, Fearless, TSMR, Dunu, Moondrop, SeeAudio, FiiO and others are hard to beat for the amount of tech they pack for the cost.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #41 of 78
I have one incoming this weekend! Curious what they have done!

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #42 of 78
The low price is surprising to me as well. This is their cheapest IEM on offer, currently along with the Dianas. And it's 100% in house which I believe is a first for AK. And a planar magnetic driver in an IEM is not very common at all. I wonder how it compares to electrostatic drivers used in the Chinese tribrid IEMs like my TSMR LANDs. If I had a guess I would say it should be a better bang for buck than Western IEM companies (since American labor is expensive + marketing cost). But it's not going to be as good value as Chinese IEMs for sure. Thieaudio, Fearless, TSMR, Dunu, Moondrop, SeeAudio, FiiO and others are hard to beat for the amount of tech they pack for the cost.
@crinacle have some comments on Planars on IEMs, I wonder what are the plans to try the new AK.

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #43 of 78
Just arrived and did a quick listen. Immediately noticed a nice sinking DD bass and spacious presentation. Devil's in the detail but overall good balance and nothing stands out in a negative way. Definitely needs a bit more power than U12t/Traillii. Probably the DD and planar combos do that. This could be a nice U12t type signature in a value package.

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #44 of 78
Just arrived and did a quick listen. Immediately noticed a nice sinking DD bass and spacious presentation. Devil's in the detail but overall good balance and nothing stands out in a negative way. Definitely needs a bit more power than U12t/Traillii. Probably the DD and planar combos do that. This could be a nice U12t type signature in a value package.
Value and a&k in the same sentence. Good time to be alive ahah

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #45 of 78
Value and a&k in the same sentence. Good time to be alive ahah
Haha they don't come together do they 🤭

I'm using with Sony-Kimber MUC-M12SB1 balanced out of DX300Max on high gain and it's starting to come alive with a good amount of body. Vocals pops out nicely and really good resolution overall. I like the mids and treble on this better than the MEST OG, from memory.

The fit is surprisingly good given it's odd shape. It's similar size to U12t with similar length nozzle and body thickness. Similar aluminum body too. The part that usually has apex in 64 audio shells sticks out a bit but it doesn't interfere with the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back