Astell&Kern AK Zero1 Hybrid IEM
Oct 15, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #17 of 78
The cable is somewhat reminiscent of Final's cables. I don't recall A&K ever releasing their own IEMs; the Beyerdynamic & JH collabs are the only ones that come to mind.
They did one with final a long time ago Final audio AKr02 (screw style mmcx).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #18 of 78
They did previously have collab with Final Audio for AKR-01. Final Audio uses mmcx connectors for their IEMs. This design is very much like the Final Audio B, A8000 series.

… and the AKR02 which was a custom FI-BA-SS. This iem was really good sounding, but the custom cable went green on me. 😒

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #19 of 78
They did previously have collab with Final Audio for AKR-01. Final Audio uses mmcx connectors for their IEMs. This design is very much like the Final Audio B, A8000 series.
The Final A4000 I have uses one of those little two-pin connectors.

I wish they were MMCX, I have a pair of Mezcal Rai Solos and I love that type of connection they use, feels so much more premium and robust than the janky 2-pin jobs.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #20 of 78
… and the AKR02 which was a custom FI-BA-SS. This iem was really good sounding, but the custom cable went green on me. 😒
same with mine! I loved how it sounded but as soon as the cable turned opaque i knew i had to get rid of it fast!

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #21 of 78
same with mine! I loved how it sounded but as soon as the cable turned opaque i knew i had to get rid of it fast!

Especially since it used the non-standard screw in connectors. I ended up finding a replacement cable from JAYS out of Sweden since it’s popular q-JAYs iem used a cable with the same fittings, but the sound didn’t match up to the original.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #22 of 78
Interesting.. When I looked at the shell and read "Made in Japan" my first thought was that looks like Final, but who knows...
Japanese press releases claim that this "AK's first original IEM"
https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/202110/15/53836.html

So at least according to AK, this is not a "collab". Even if the OEM is a known manufacturer, AK doesn't intend to disclose them. It's still interesting to figure out who made the parts tho. According to my research the drivers are made by AMT acoustics, the cable is assembled by Acoustune/Nippon Dics, the pouch is made by Vannuys; my guess is AK did all the design. Unsure who OEM the shells or who does the assembling of the IEM.

This reminds me of the JH Diana. It claims to be a collab, but it doesn't sound like a JH, doesn't look like a JH, and wasn't assembled by JH.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #23 of 78
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #24 of 78
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 78
Oct 15, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #27 of 78
Handsome, but a bit expensive for me.

I also completely disagree about the mmcx comnector, never had one that lasted. Whenever I use an earphone with it I'm half waiting for it to disconnect and can never enjoy the music as I think if the impending doom. I would rather have a non replaceable cable then MMCX.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 78
Why not give people the option to choose between 4.4mm or 2.5mm versions? Why should anyone pay for a cable in the box that he sure doesn't need?
Business? Give what is needed and charge more for what people really want. :)

This one got my attention, at least to try out. The other collaborations with Beyer and CA sounded really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back