Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread)
Feb 24, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #151 of 256
I've joined this little elite group...

Serial number in the 24xxx range, so there are obviously quite a few out there!

Going to play with the tips when I get home, but right now more than happy with the JVC Spiral Dots

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #152 of 256
I've joined this little elite group...

Serial number in the 24xxx range, so there are obviously quite a few out there!

Going to play with the tips when I get home, but right now more than happy with the JVC Spiral Dots
You tend to get the most bass and soundstage out of the Spiral Dots, but you can try yellow Spinfit too if you like, they fit well on the oval nozzles and yields slightly less bass. I couldn't try other tips because I need XXL size tips so these are the only 2 options for me.
But I'm curious to know your findings with tip trials.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #153 of 256
20180224_160234.jpg
Agreed re the bass, which was quite shocking!

My personal favourites from the tips I have on my person are the Sennheiser CX500 large... Lower the bass a notch, and lift the treble slightly, more balanced for sure!

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #154 of 256
If you want to be shocked with huge overblown mid-bass: Spiral dots and a cable with big section monocrystal copper strands. Basshead fart!

Otherwise, for more balanced sound with reasonable mid-bass hump, leave any SPC cable on (MK2 comes with a decent one, unlike MK1), and fiddle with various tips to adjust treble decay.

For mine, I've been using an iBasso CB12 balanced cable (mixed silver + copper strands, good thick cable with no tangle and still very pliable). But a FiiO SPC balanced cable works nicely as well and is cheaper (about 35$).

Feb 24, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #156 of 256
I'm genuinely staggered by the soundscape, layering, texture and tonality of these - vocals sound sublime!

I had a moment of sheer joy, hearing the first few bass notes on Tracey Chapmans "Fast Car", brought a genuine shiver down my spine, and a smile on my face.

Genuinely smitten :)

As a side note I can say straight away that I prefer these to my AK Laylas… going to have to do a head to head with the RE2000 I think!

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #162 of 256
For once it looks like we Aussies get something cheaper than the rest of the world.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/astell-kern-t8ie-mk-ii-in-ear-headphones

We usually get stung with a living in Australia Tax and price collusion between retailers.
Damn! That's a good price!

Me being me, typically impatient, I paid £799 (full UK retail) on Saturday! Strangely, I still find them, even at that price, to be good value (I suppose the Selfridge 2yr warranty helps sweeten the bitter pricing pill)

Further thoughts from me, the Sennheiser CX500 tips are still the best I have, a lot of others are too bassy, the Senns are quite balanced, also (quite unsurprisingly) the best synergy I have with my gear is with my aged AK120 Titan - a very good combination (with the "Pro" EQ on)

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #164 of 256
Feb 28, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #165 of 256
How could I forget my favourite tips of all time? Have been doing too much tip rolling, and forgot all about them...

Sony MH1 (large), don't know what Sony did with these, but they simply cannot do anything wrong with any IEM they're attached to...

My new favourite combination!

I take that back, the MH1 tips aren't as open sounding as the Sennheiser CX500 ones, the MH1s are warmer, but closed in in comparison.

Oh, and not meant in a bad way, however whilst tip rolling, I did an a/b with my trusty RHA T20i, nothing against them, however they sound quite poor in comparison (congested, dark, and boomy), definitely made a good choice to pick these up... Still happy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back