Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread)
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #136 of 256
Can I ask for your recommendations please? My Shure SE535 are falling apart, so I'm looking for new IEMs for my AK300.
Following this thread, the T8ie MkII seems to be a good option, I'm also considering the Beyerdynamic Xelento and the Shure SE846, perhaps something else - about in the same price range.
What would you do?
Thanks in advance for expert advice!

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #137 of 256
Can I ask for your recommendations please? My Shure SE535 are falling apart, so I'm looking for new IEMs for my AK300.
Following this thread, the T8ie MkII seems to be a good option, I'm also considering the Beyerdynamic Xelento and the Shure SE846, perhaps something else - about in the same price range.
What would you do?
Thanks in advance for expert advice!

I've got the T8ie MkII, the 846 and had the Xelento for a few days. IMHO, the T8ie MkII. Sound and comfort. I wanted to check if I'd like the Xelento even if a tiny bit more than the AK. But no.

Cheers!

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #138 of 256
At home or on highspeed trains I grab these over my Shure SE846. Sound quality wise they are imo on par. It‘s really hard to tell for me which are better on the technical side. I just crave the more relaxed tuning paired with a grander soundstage of the mkii.
The akt8ie mkii is really well done. But I don‘t expect anything less at a price point of 1100€. I bought them for 350€ though

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #140 of 256
Wanted to try these after reading the about the technology. Imagine my joy at hearing these, discovering that I love them, AND seeing how teeny-tiny they are. It don't hurt that they're built like the proverbial outhouse as well.

They don't require a pneumatic press to get them in my ears like my Kaiser 10Us, and I can actually put a flat hand over my ears and barely touch them. It's been since my Etymotics that I was able to wear IEMs in bed. All my library of Naxos, Telarc, Reference, etc sound wonderful, and have the deeply extended bottom-end I prefer. I'm very pleased.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #141 of 256
At home or on highspeed trains I grab these over my Shure SE846. Sound quality wise they are imo on par. It‘s really hard to tell for me which are better on the technical side. I just crave the more relaxed tuning paired with a grander soundstage of the mkii.
The akt8ie mkii is really well done. But I don‘t expect anything less at a price point of 1100€. I bought them for 350€ though

Where did you buy them for that price? Looking for one, too

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #142 of 256
The supplied silicon 'conch' shape tips are bass light for me as finding it hard to get a perfect seal, they feel loose. Tried the Comply's they're good but too bass heavy and I'm losing out in the highs.
Now I'm listening with some standard shape silicone buds I had in my spares box and these are starting to sound really good.

These iem's really are tiny, and the cables feel and look very premium, they're now my go to iem. Have ordered some symbio tips which I look forward to trying.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #143 of 256
Okay, so these things are pretty tough. How do I know? I ran these through a freakin 55min dryer cycle.

Coming back from a trip I tossed my jacket into the dryer to freshen them up as I did laundry, forgetting I left these in there. Taking the clothes out I find these in the pile with the cables more tangled than I thought was even possible. Thought they were screwed. The cable's outer sheath was kinked and torn in several places, but there was zero visual or sound quality damage to the earphones themselves, even with the cosmetically damaged cable. There was no chipping on the chrome coating and the complies even stayed intact. I guess the Gordian knot the buds were tangled in stopped them from hitting the sides of the dryer. Thankfully I didn't run them through the washer beforehand...

Time for a new cable...

u8XGKaq.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #144 of 256
@haveblue, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Wow, good to know these bad boys can hold up!

Did you decide to go for an aftermarket cable? What did you decide?

What's the current best recommended aftermarket cable? I've seen some recommendations for Plussound's X8 but what do you all think?

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #145 of 256
@haveblue, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Wow, good to know these bad boys can hold up!

Did you decide to go for an aftermarket cable? What did you decide?

What's the current best recommended aftermarket cable? I've seen some recommendations for Plussound's X8 but what do you all think?

I went with this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...&orderId=88955185140626&productId=32816549815

Planning to solder on a 4.4mm balanced Plus Sound plug since I have a Walkman on order. IMO just get the one you think looks best. They all sound the same.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #146 of 256
No way QC issues are fixed on these. Got a brand new pair in the mail today and straight out of the box, the cable was split near the left earpiece (tubing sliding up the cord exposing the wires next to the strain relief).

The cable is scary thin for such an expensive IEM and the strain reliefs don't inspire confidence (especially the one at the jack). Too bad, they sounded quite nice. Compared them to my SE846 and like them better.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #147 of 256
Disappointing indeed, but cables have always been disappointing wiht AK8iE.

Not a big issue if you ask me, since MMCX cables are readily available nowadays.
I hope that the socket issues on the earpieces have been ironed out, at least.

My MK1 is still running strong after 18 months, so I must have been lucky with my unit.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #148 of 256
Just got these in the last few days and have no QC issues with mine as yet.

Having a good listen to them today and I gotta tell ya Tin Pan Alley by SRV 24-48 just blew me away. Using Noble silicon tips.

Got them for 625 USD - I think I got a good deal.

All I have to do now is re purchase the T51's and I have the Beyerdynamic trifecta.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #149 of 256
I so don't want to be reading this thread...

Was just randomly reading about the Xelento - and now I'm here...

Looks like my credit card might well be hit tomorrow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back