Astell & Kern AK Jr. firmware
Aug 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Takamine

New Head-Fier
Greetings!! I have just purchased an AK Jr., which sounds great, with installed firm ver 1.02. I downloaded ver 1.03 to my '15 MacBook pro, but i cannot open it from the download folder as i usually do. It is asking for an application to open it. Anyone out there can help with steps to install this firm version onto the AK Jr ? Thanks.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 7
According to the information found here on their site, and as I'm understanding it...

Before you attempt to update the firmware:
  1. Make sure of your AK Jr’s battery level at least over 50%.
  2. Make sure of your AK Jr’s memory size at least over 50 MB.
  3. Don''t remove the connection between PC & AK Jr while transferring hex data.

Once you've done that and have the file extracted from the .zip file, you would need to:
  1. ...copy that file to the AK Jr.
  2. Disconnect the AK Jr.
  3. This should start the update.

That's my understanding from the linked instructions above.

Oddly, I downloaded the file from the page I linked above with the instructions, but was unable to unzip the file. If you're having the same issue, you may want to try contacting them via their contact page to see if they may be able to help you.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the info. Yes the same thing happened where i was unable to open it. They sent it via dropbox, i was able to open it and put it at the top of the root directory of the AK Jr., and it loaded. Thank you.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 7
hi to all

is there a custom firmware for this player? Like say with the ibasso's which have rockbox, is that available for this???

Same...

I know it's an old device already. but only 3 updates to it? Come on...

At least a custom firmware would be neat.

Korean's do know how to make hardware well but software wise forget it...

Just like LG and others....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back