Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
May 26, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #917 of 1,165
Quick one, based on what I read above, i.e. Shanling’s M8 somewhat being in-between the AKM and ESS sides of the SE200.

I have auditioned M8 for about an hour not long ago and I own se200 for half a year now, and I honestly can't agree with that assumption.
M8's sound signature is like se200 on steroids, very powerful and "in your face" muscle music car ))) I got really tired of it after that hour, which was a true dissappointment for me, was planning to change se200 for m8. I tested it with CA Ara iems.
But for me, M8 signature is exactly what I don't like on se200 AKM side at times, pushed to the limit. It's fun, and full of emotions, but it's far from neutral, thus I really advice anyone considering M8 to audition it for themselves and make their own decisions. It's sound is not for everyone.

May 26, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #918 of 1,165
I have auditioned M8 for about an hour not long ago and I own se200 for half a year now, and I honestly can't agree with that assumption.
M8's sound signature is like se200 on steroids, very powerful and "in your face" muscle music car ))) I got really tired of it after that hour, which was a true dissappointment for me, was planning to change se200 for m8. I tested it with CA Ara iems.
But for me, M8 signature is exactly what I don't like on se200 AKM side at times, pushed to the limit. It's fun, and full of emotions, but it's far from neutral, thus I really advice anyone considering M8 to audition it for themselves and make their own decisions. It's sound is not for everyone.

Thanks!

Quick one, since I had the Ara for a short while (I found them to be quite neutral yet musical, neutral being the key here):
- Which genre of music did you listen to?
- Which side of the SE200 do you prefer with the Ara?

May 26, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #919 of 1,165
How many hours did that M8 have on it? Your description is what I heard straight out of the box, before the first 100 hrs. It got immensely sweeter after that.

May 28, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #922 of 1,165
Thanks!

Quick one, since I had the Ara for a short while (I found them to be quite neutral yet musical, neutral being the key here):
- Which genre of music did you listen to?
- Which side of the SE200 do you prefer with the Ara?
Sorry it was an exhausting week at work for me.

My music preferences are vast, from classical (Beethoven, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, etc) to extreme metal (black, technical death, gothic) with stops everywhere in between, like indie pop (Lana Del Rey), indie rock (Radiohead), jazz and modern minimalism (Hauschka anyone?).

On Se200 I don't have exact preference with any of phones.
For me Ara's tuned to present the music with precise realism, you know, the feeling when you close your eyes and you are there without trying to imagine it. Yes natural neutral musical. It was a true hit for me.
The AKM side has synergy with that type of tuning to my ears, but sometimes I prefer more space and air from Ess side.

May 28, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #923 of 1,165
How many hours did that M8 have on it? Your description is what I heard straight out of the box, before the first 100 hrs. It got immensely sweeter after that.
Have no idea, it was a demo unit at hifi shop. I guess it gets some play time, but whether it had 100 hours or not, who knows.

Frankly, I don't really believe in dramatic changes with DAPs burn-in.

After M8 I tried sp2000 for a mere 10-15 minutes and it was in another league for my ears. Not only compared to M8, but to anything I ever heard.
But the price and the weight...
Damn)

May 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #926 of 1,165
Hey guys, does anyone know if A&K does screen repairs?
Why are you posting same thing in every ak thread without letting anyone have a chance to reply?

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #928 of 1,165
Hey all, my review of the SE200 compared to the SE180 has been published here: https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/ak-se180-se200

7E519408-953E-47DD-B066-FC5FADA6104D.jpeg

The SE200 has a slick, beautiful design (albeit with some sharp edges) and a forward, engaging presentation off of the AKM chip. While I wasn’t as big a fan of the ESS side, it presents an apt foil to the AKM side, providing good room for synergy if that’s something you find important. I won’t comment on the SE180 too much (you can read the review for more details), but my choice is clear between the two DAPs.

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #929 of 1,165
@JasonNYC any plans for the SE200 to be Roon ready as well. Now that the Kann Alpha will be added by tomorrow? Thanks

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #930 of 1,165
Hey all, my review of the SE200 compared to the SE180 has been published here: https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/ak-se180-se200

7E519408-953E-47DD-B066-FC5FADA6104D.jpeg

The SE200 has a slick, beautiful design (albeit with some sharp edges) and a forward, engaging presentation off of the AKM chip. While I wasn’t as big a fan of the ESS side, it presents an apt foil to the AKM side, providing good room for synergy if that’s something you find important. I won’t comment on the SE180 too much (you can read the review for more details), but my choice is clear between the two DAPs.
Have you tried the SEM2 module for the SE180? How do you think it compared to the AKM side of the SE200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back