Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Jun 28, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #136 of 1,165
Actually I do in sometimes, but it depends on the usage scenario and also signature I prefer for the moment. Why do you think people like Crinacle also stand up for using their phone instead of a DAP? But again, I have nothing against DAPs or buying high end gear (otherwise I would not be here in this forum) - I am just claiming that in many cases we do not get what we think we get, that is all.

Can I ask why are you using a SR25 instead of your former SPK2000cu (at least it seems from your signature)?
I bought the 2000 right before the lockdown off Amazon. When the lockdown happened and my clinic closed down, I had no income so I just returned the 2000 out of caution. I had the copper, and the tonality was a tad too thick. and it was heavy as hell. But I returned it just out of financial caution. I went back to my se100, but some headfier insisted I sell it to him, and he offered me $175 more than i paid for it, so I sold it. I was just about to buy the N6 E02, when the sr-25 came out. I used to own the sr-15, but left it on a bar in Manhattan about 2 years ago, so i was curious. The sr-25 has blown me away, A&K just gets better and better; the tuning is very sophisticated,

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #137 of 1,165
sigh.... I bought the 2000 right before the lockdown off Amazon. When the lockdown happened and my clinic closed down, I had no income so I just returned the 2000 out of caution. I had the copper, and the tonality was a tad too thick. i'm sure it sounded exactly like your cellphone, but to my deluded ears, there was a slight thickness to the note, and it was heavy as hell. But I returned it just out of financial caution. I went back to my se100, but some headfier insisted I sell it to him, and he offered me $175 more than i paid for it, so I sold it. I was just about to buy the N6 E02, when the sr-25 came out. I used to own the sr-15, but left it on a bar in Manhattan about 2 years ago, so i was curious. The sr-25 has blown me away, A&K just gets better and better; the tuning is very sophisticated, tho I'm sure if I bought a $10 pair of earphones, and a $20 dac it would sound the same.

I drove a Yugo once, and then a Maseratti, and I couldn't tell any difference. I had a Schlitz once, then a Sam Adams, but couldn't tell any difference. I had a Dinobli once, and then a Cao, but couldn't tell any difference. I just had a bottle of 2013 Las Acequias Malbec, and it tasted just like a bottle of Thunderbird... go figure....

Haha....I guess I am not native English speaker enough (I am not) to get the different levels of irony from your post right. Sounds bitter to me though? :robot:
Once more: I never said devices sound all the same nor did I say there are no quality differences at all! The only thing I said was that in many cases we are not getting what we think we get, especially in the several thousand dollar market. That's all. And I think I am not totally wrong with it :wink: Btw, I really liked the SR25, too, after trying it out yesterday!
Anyway, let's get back to SE200! :)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #140 of 1,165
Again, they stick with their flimsy 2.5mm balanced sockets, the 2.5mm balanced socket on the Fiio M15 is a firm insert with almost no wiggling and the Fiio sounds amazing with lots of power with all three sockets (3.5 unbalanced, 2.5 balanced and 4.4 balanced.

Why won't Astell&Kern learn to use the more sturdier output sockets in Chinese DAPs like Fiio or Lotoo?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #141 of 1,165
It's called synergy
Yep. I won't be surprised if se200 can or cannot reproduce sp2000 sound. If it can, that's good. If not, se200 has features even sp2k does not offer.

BTW, I own sp1000m gold (actually copper inside) and I know there is sound difference between that and the aluminum version. However, I'm not convinced it's due to the different metal. I suspect there is different digital filters applied on purpose.

Anyway I'm interested in se200 for both the dacs and the digital filters - finally more levers to tune the sound in AK's offerings.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #142 of 1,165
Yep. I won't be surprised if se200 can or cannot reproduce sp2000 sound. If it can, that's good. If not, se200 has features even sp2k does not offer.

BTW, I own sp1000m gold (actually copper inside) and I know there is sound difference between that and the aluminum version. However, I'm not convinced it's due to the different metal. I suspect there is different digital filters applied on purpose.

Anyway I'm interested in se200 for both the dacs and the digital filters - finally more levers to tune the sound in AK's offerings.
Well, different materials in cables change and tune the sound, why not the chassis in a DAP which is used for ground?

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #143 of 1,165
I have been using AK70 MKII for 2 years and wish to upgrade to SP1000m next year. But this time, SE200 comes. After watched headfi's youtube video, I am really digging in this since it sounds so close to sp2k. I am curious to see more reviews and comparisons to sp1000m, and probably new sp2000m next year.

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #144 of 1,165
I have been using AK70 MKII for 2 years and wish to upgrade to SP1000m next year. But this time, SE200 comes. After watched headfi's youtube video, I am really digging in this since it sounds so close to sp2k. I am curious to see more reviews and comparisons to sp1000m, and probably new sp2000m next year.
I'm learning you can't predict what A&K is gonna do... personally I'm digging the SR-25!

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #145 of 1,165
I'm learning you can't predict what A&K is gonna do... personally I'm digging the SR-25!
AK usually update their product line after 2 years. So sp2000m is possible next year. sp2k is way out of reach to me and personally not worth their price tag imo. But se200 is worth a consideration since it is much better than sr25. I will make a final decision after sp2000m is released. But currently, se200 may overtake my old sp1000m plan.

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #146 of 1,165
AK usually update their product line after 2 years. So sp2000m is possible next year. sp2k is way out of reach to me and personally not worth their price tag imo. But se200 is worth a consideration since it is much better than sr25. I will make a final decision after sp2000m is released. But currently, se200 may overtake my old sp1000m plan.
Well, your supposed to buy used, not new... :sunglasses:

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #148 of 1,165

Remember that tuning is important too, the SE100/SE200 line is tuned to be very neutral sounding, the Ultima line is more balanced overall. They would sound different. I would say that the sp2000 would probably have a wider soundstage than the new SE200 based on the price differences alone.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #149 of 1,165
Remember that tuning is important too, the SE100/SE200 line is tuned to be very neutral sounding, the Ultima line is more balanced overall. They would sound different. I would say that the sp2000 would probably have a wider soundstage than the new SE200 based on the price differences alone.

The SP2000Cu is dead neutral sounding in SE and neutral bright in balanced with wider soundstage. I prefer the SE with the SP2000 with a more focused imaging

Users who are viewing this thread

Back