Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Jun 26, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #46 of 1,165
FiiO is joyfully offering a combination of 4.4mm, 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm single ended on the M11, M11 Pro and M15 DAPs .. So Sony is not necessarily preventing A&K from using 4.4mm ... I own the AK SR15 and FiiO M15 and find 4.4mm much more robust .. Would have loved having that on my AK but would understand 4.4mm taking up too much space inside the DAP for it to be viable ..
I think the Fiio way is the best way to be fair. Give all options

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #47 of 1,165
I would definitely prefer a 4.4mm connector to the really fragile 2.5mm but I think people who will want an A&K will buy one no matter what and those who don't like A&K will not get one - 4.4mm or not.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #48 of 1,165
I think the Fiio way is the best way to be fair. Give all options

To be honest.. I have reverted to always using a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter on my AK. That way I can stay with 4.4mm cables and in case the adapter cable would incur damage, that one is easily replaceable..

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #49 of 1,165
It will be fun to play around with initially but you will eventually listen to just one config 90% of the time. Like on the cayin N8 where people just use the nutube output over the op amp output.

A dap with swappable audio circuit boards like the DX220 would have been better.
So much this. You'll pick one side and be like meh, just leave it there. Gimmick really once the excitement wears off

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #50 of 1,165
To be honest.. I have reverted to always using a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter on my AK. That way I can stay with 4.4mm cables and in case the adapter cable would incur damage, that one is easily replaceable..
It is the actual jack that benefits from the larger tip of the 4.4mm connector. Unless I am misunderstanding what I have read. The jacks are supposed to be more stable due to better internal contact force during the connection.

So much this. You'll pick one side and be like meh, just leave it there. Gimmick really once the excitement wears off
Considering that the DAC itself should be transparent it would seem to be a moot point, but people have varying opinions about the idea.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #51 of 1,165
Man, I miss the times when people were considering a 1000 Dollar DAP as crazy overpriced :triportsad:

(...and that is not so long ago)!
It's sick, isn't it? I'm getting ready to buy a $800 cable next week (Leonides II)...

This looks cool. I already have an Sp2k and sr25 so I don’t need more, gulp.
I just got the sr-25 and love it. I had the sp2000cu for a awhile but returned it... In a word, how would you compare the sr-25 to the sp2000?

I would definitely prefer a 4.4mm connector to the really fragile 2.5mm but I think people who will want an A&K will buy one no matter what and those who don't like A&K will not get one - 4.4mm or not.
agree... I bent a 2.5 once on my Eros II and it was a pain in the neck to have to repair it, but I love a&k and will keep buying it... I wish they would adopt 4.4....

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #54 of 1,165
Seems a bit gimmicky and overpriced tbh. Sure it looks nice, like every other AK, but you can buy a DX220 or n6ii alongside all the other modules for this price as well as the added customisation offered by an open android system. I’ll pass at this price.
They will be showing up on the used forums soon enough, that's when I may get one...

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #55 of 1,165
The uhm.. "real" dual DAC set-up is rather unique. However, I have this nagging feeling that it will be a little more than a gimmick. Most DAC chips are relatively transparent these days; there is little to split between good implementations of varying DACs.

With that said, the design is, as usual, excellent. This is probably the 2nd best looking A&K device, after the SA700, IMO.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #58 of 1,165
The uhm.. "real" dual DAC set-up is rather unique. However, I have this nagging feeling that it will be a little more than a gimmick. Most DAC chips are relatively transparent these days; there is little to split between good implementations of varying DACs.

With that said, the design is, as usual, excellent. This is probably the 2nd best looking A&K device, after the SA700, IMO.
I respectfully disagree. I think DAC tuning is critical. One of the reasons I love A&K so much is their tuning...I think the sr-25 is so phenomenal is because the tuning is so sophisticated. I had the Fiio M11 Pro and the tuning was ham-fisted and amateurish...at least that is my opinion.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #59 of 1,165
I just got the sr-25 and love it. I had the sp2000cu for a awhile but returned it... In a word, how would you compare the sr-25 to the sp2000?
I think in some ways the Sp25 is the more fun one. Just sounds nice but it does not have the full holographic transparency of the Sp2k. They both compliment each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back