Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #32 of 1,165
This looks cool. I already have an Sp2k and sr25 so I don’t need more, gulp.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #33 of 1,165
Hmmm....maybe it is just me, but to me this feels like a weird product category. Especially the fact that you have two (well, to be precise: four) different outputs instead of just having a switch between the two DACs.
A bit like a laptop that you can open from both sides and one is running Windows, the other Mac OS :ksc75smile:

By the way, I am pretty sure it would be possible to simulate the different types of sound of two (or more) different DAC chips just by using DSP. Wouldn't that be easier?

But I love the design of the SE200! It`s gorgeous!
Is the point not getting the analog signals through entirely separated circuits? About the absence of a switch.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #34 of 1,165
Is the point not getting the analog signals through entirely separated circuits? About the absence of a switch.

Maybe 😄👍

still feels weird to me to have two machines of the same kind in one - and something only audiophiles could demand 😬

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #36 of 1,165
Maybe 😄👍

still feels weird to me to have two machines of the same kind in one - and something only audiophiles could demand 😬
It does seem a little bit odd, I personally have separate devices depending on what I'm doing and they sound differently, I was thinking if you wanted good sound, you'd make a device with one DAC that sounds as good as possible. Now, about listening to different genres - maybe, like switching between electronic and metal, and you also do not change output digitally - you switch jacks, which feels cool and also almost like changing the device. No replacement for displacement :) And I also wonder if it's worth getting over SP2000, as Jude says it's almost as good :)

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #37 of 1,165
and again... ROON????
Lack of ability to run the Roon remote app is what holds me back from going A&K.
Probably this is not an issue for the vast majority of A&K customers and I understand this is something that's been put indefinitely on hold. I'd love to move from my non streaming Sony WM1 to A&K but I do need to be able to listen to my Roon library - over 50% of my listening is happening at home. Plus, I'd like to use the DAP as a source for my HiFi as well.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #38 of 1,165
@JasonNYC, does each DAC section use dual DACs or single?

Since I’m still using my AK240SS as my reference 5 years later, I’m interested in the change of distribution. Is Owen’s new company still in Irvine as is iriver? Service on my $3K DAC is important if it ever needs it, where will I need to send my unit, iriver or Owen’s new company?

If everything is handled by Owen’s company, can you list the address and phone number? Thank you.
That’s really cool that you still use the ak240. Shows nothing stops sounding good

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #40 of 1,165
I don’t think Ak will ever use 4.4 as it’s Sony’s thing

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #43 of 1,165
Well then they're going to be left behind as 4.4 has quickly become the most popular balanced format, especially so for DAPs. Honestly there's no excuse for not having it at this point. I'm pretty baffled by it.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #44 of 1,165

FiiO is joyfully offering a combination of 4.4mm, 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm single ended on the M11, M11 Pro and M15 DAPs .. So Sony is not necessarily preventing A&K from using 4.4mm ... I own the AK SR15 and FiiO M15 and find 4.4mm much more robust .. Would have loved having that on my AK but would understand 4.4mm taking up too much space inside the DAP for it to be viable ..

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #45 of 1,165
It is an open standard. It isn't like A&K invented the DAC or any other component in their gear so why would this particular choice be so problematic. Eventually they will learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back