Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 1,165
@JasonNYC, does each DAC section use dual DACs or single?

Since I’m still using my AK240SS as my reference 5 years later, I’m interested in the change of distribution. Is Owen’s new company still in Irvine as is iriver? Service on my $3K DAC is important if it ever needs it, where will I need to send my unit, iriver or Owen’s new company?

If everything is handled by Owen’s company, can you list the address and phone number? Thank you.

Dual DAC on ESS, single on AKM.
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...31960&spos=1&tcg=&tpos=0&dpos=3&gcode=SC36100

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #19 of 1,165
Love the design and I'm sure it sounds awesome... however I would never buy an android DAP. Too much CPU overhead. It's also the same reason why I wear a mechanical watch... I want my luxury items to do one thing and one thing well, not be obsolete in a few years due to lack of software updates.
U should choose sony then, the walkman doesnt use android bcs of the reason u want. Even tho the new releases from them use android, it is not the flagship series.

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 1,165
U should choose sony then, the walkman doesnt use android bcs of the reason u want. Even tho the new releases from them use android, it is not the flagship series.
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually ordered a Lotoo PAW 6000 for this reason.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 1,165
ok, that is sure first to integrate DAC from two different compnay, I undertsabd using 1 or 2, but 3?
I am curious how do they utilize 3 DAC in a single DAP. looking forward to it.

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 1,165
Oh my god, I am flabbergasted. Kudos to Astell&Kern development team! This is a real surprise and it will be a hit at $1,799!

Man, I miss the times when people were considering a 1000 Dollar DAP as crazy overpriced :triportsad:

(...and that is not so long ago)!

Hmmm....maybe it is just me, but to me this feels like a weird product category. Especially the fact that you have two (well, to be precise: four) different outputs instead of just having a switch between the two DACs.
A bit like a laptop that you can open from both sides and one is running Windows, the other Mac OS :ksc75smile:

By the way, I am pretty sure it would be possible to simulate the different types of sound of two (or more) different DAC chips just by using DSP. Wouldn't that be easier?

But I love the design of the SE200! It`s gorgeous!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #25 of 1,165
It will be fun to play around with initially but you will eventually listen to just one config 90% of the time. Like on the cayin N8 where people just use the nutube output over the op amp output.

A dap with swappable audio circuit boards like the DX220 would have been better.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #29 of 1,165
and again... ROON????

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #30 of 1,165
Design looks amazing, as do all the AK DAPs, but still over the moon with the SE100 :)
Not sure I would benefit from having the dual DAC options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back