Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #421 of 648
If it's completely dead, you may need to leave it plugged in for at least 15 - 20 minutes before the charging icon will display on screen.
Well, nothing is on the display after 30 minutes...

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #422 of 648
Sorry to hear that, getting a new piece of gear that doesn’t work out of the box is very frustrating. That’s the reason I replaced my Hiby R6 New with the SE180. Nothing but problems. So far (3 weeks) my new DAP has worked perfectly.

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #423 of 648
Well, nothing is on the display after 30 minutes...

It might be worth connecting to a computer USB port overnight. Believe it or not this usually works for a really dead battery. Nothing to lose by trying.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #424 of 648
Hallo. Ich habe vor, dem „Club“ beizutreten. Mein SE180 sollte heute ankommen.
Ich hatte letzten Samstag die Gelegenheit, SE180 und SE200 vorzuspielen.

Ich war sehr beeindruckt:

Vorteile:
- Die Tonalität des SE180 ist meinem Desktop-System auf ESS Sabre DAC (Burson Audio) sehr ähnlich
- Ich mag dieses modulare System > Sie haben mehr Flexibilität, um Ihren Sound zu finden
- Ich mag seinen 4,4-mm-Ausgang (ich besitze ein gutes Plussound Poetry-Kabel, das jetzt verwendet werden kann)
- Roon Ready - kann problemlos in meine häusliche Umgebung integriert werden (ich weiß, dass die Funktionalität von Roon hier begrenzt ist, aber dies ist sowieso ein gutes Feature)

Nachteile:
- klobig, tragbar kann ich es nicht wirklich nennen, aber ich besitze einen SA700 für unterwegs.

Übrigens, meiner Meinung nach gegenüber SA700: SE180 ist transparenter, hat eine bessere Erweiterung an beiden Enden, eine höhere Auflösung und eine bessere Instrumententrennung

IMHO fand ich den SE200 nicht überlegen klingend. Es klingt etwas anders, aber nicht besser.
Ich glaube, dass der Preisunterschied zwischen den beiden DAPs die Leute (und einige Rezensenten) dazu bringt, zu denken, dass der SE200 besser sein sollte.
Ich mag diesen "zwei DACs in einem DAP"-Ansatz auch nicht wirklich. Für mich ist dieses Feature fragwürdig ...

Ich plane auch, ein SEM3-Modul zu bestellen. Ich glaube nicht, dass ich das SEM2 auf AKM brauche.

Glaubt ihr, dass der SEM3 der richtige Weg ist, da ich den SEM1

Hello. I'm planning to join "the club". My SE180 should arrive today.
I had a chance to audition both SE180 and SE200 last Saturday.

I was very impressed:

Pros:
- SE180's tonality is very similar to my desktop system on ESS Sabre DAC (Burson Audio)
- I like this modular system > you have more flexibility to find your sound
- I like its 4.4 mm output (I own a good Plussound Poetry cable which can be used now)
- Roon Ready - can be easily integrated into my home environment (I know that the functionality of Roon here is limited but this is a good feature to have anyways)

Cons:
- bulky, can not really call it portable but I own a SA700 for on the go.

BTW, vs SA700 in my opinion: SE180 is more transparent, has better extension on both ends, has higher resolution and better instrument separation

IMHO I did not find the SE200 sounding superior. It sounds slightly different but not better.
I believe that the price difference between the two DAPs makes people (and some reviewers) think that the SE200 should be better.
I don't really like this "two DACs in one DAP' approach either. To me this feature is questionable...

I'm also planning to order a SEM3 module. I don't think I need the SEM2 on AKM.

Do you guys think that the SEM3 is the way to go since I like the SEM1? Thanks.
I prefer SEM3 to SEM1 because of the larger stage, which leaves more air between the individual instruments. In my opinion, SEM3 is a combination of SEM1 and SEM2 in terms of sound. In any case, all three modules differ from each other and each has its strengths. In any case, the synergies with the connected headphones are decisive. Finally I find SEM3 > SEM2 > SEM1. But I will definitely order SEM4 and am looking forward to it.

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #425 of 648
I prefer SEM3 to SEM1 because of the larger stage, which leaves more air between the individual instruments.
Thank you. I ordered SEM3 yesterday.

It might be worth connecting to a computer USB port overnight. Believe it or not this usually works for a really dead battery. Nothing to lose by trying.
I will keep it connected to my laptop in the office today. I'm planning to visit the dealer in the evening if traffic is ok and I can make it (they open till 6 p.m.)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #426 of 648
The SE180 just arrived. Looks like the battery is completely empty.
Tried to charge it with a standard samsung wall charger but nothing is happening, nothing is displayed on the screen either.
Is this ok? Tried another sumsung charger - same picture.

I use these wall chargers to charge my SA700 without any problem

P.S. Looks like I need to visit the dealer tomorrow to replace the unit...
same experience, no response and screen is black no matter long press switch on button or connect to charger or laptop.. replaced a new one eventually, lots of people having the same disappointment when reading the previous posts here

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #427 of 648
same experience, no response and screen is black no matter long press switch on button or connect to charger or laptop.. replaced a new one eventually, lots of people having the same disappointment when reading the previous posts here
Left my SE180 at a dealer service today for diagnostics. They can keep it for 20 days, officially.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #429 of 648
20 days! got my replacement the next day. it's really disappointing when it's dead on arrival
They will send it to one of the authorised services in Moscow...20 is a maximum number of days they can officially keep the unit. Normally it shouldn't take that long.

I could buy it directly from one of the best dealers in Moscow on Saturday where I auditioned it but I found the SE180 in a different store 10% cheaper.. Wanted to save some money, LOL.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #430 of 648
Today I visited another dealer. They had two SE180 in stock.
I spent around 1.5 h there. They could not start and charge both players (brand new, sealed).
It looks like that was a certain batch with dead batteries shipped to Russia...

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #431 of 648
Today I visited another dealer. They had two SE180 in stock.
I spent around 1.5 h there. They could not start and charge both players (brand new, sealed).
It looks like that was a certain batch with dead batteries shipped to Russia...
I would say not only Russia, its a typical issue, hope AK can look into it...I started to use AK from AK 120=>320=>Kann Aphla=>se180. it destroy our trust on this costly brand!

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #432 of 648
I would say not only Russia, its a typical issue, hope AK can look into it...I started to use AK from AK 120=>320=>Kann Aphla=>se180. it destroy our trust on this costly brand!
I agree its quite unacceptable for such a premium brand to have such QC issues.
But who knows, maybe it's simply disconnected batteries? No real meaningful way to prevent that during shipping.
Just hoping for the best case scenario....

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #433 of 648
Finally...Experiencing Roon Ready feature

The fourth DAP was ok.

DSC_0071_2.jpg

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #434 of 648
By the way, I forgot to mention that the fourth player which I finally bought did not want to start/charge in the beginning as three other DAPs.
We decided to disconnect the module and put it back, after that the charging process has started...So it looks like the problem probably was in a bad contact of the module (not fully inserted?)...Most probably the issue with 3 previous DAPs can be resolved the same way but I can not verify that.

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #435 of 648
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the proper place to put this, but I'm currently selling my SE180 on eBay if anybody's interested. I'm selling it as a set which includes the main unit, the leather case, SEM1 + SEM2, and an non-OEM USB-C cable. The SE180 is in great condition. The case is banged pretty though. The rest of the details are on the eBay page. I just had enough of the buggy OS.

eBay Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back