Associating Quality with Loudness?
Feb 17, 2007 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
At school, I often hear the people pulling out of the parking lot blaring their music beyond recognition, bloated bass, the works. I ask myself if I am the only one that hears the crackling in the bass, but I just put on my headphones and sigh.
frown.gif
It seems that a vast majority of people in my age group associate sound quality with loudness. For me, blaring it completely ruins the music and it is one of my biggest peeves. Anyone else find this to be true in their region as well???

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 40
I wasn't thinking: this should probably be in the Member's Lounge. Sorry guys.

I would say mainly for showing off but I get tired of them talking about how great their stereos are but I can clearly tell that they are not.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 40
I agree, loudness destroys music.

But then, loudness is relative.

Most of my friends say that I play my music softly, even when I find them actually moderately loud. But I do know that they do not equate loudness with quality. So...people out there that are born deaf?

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why my generation is going to be deaf by their late 30s

Hear hear! (er...pun intended?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by huhwhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, loudness destroys music.

But then, loudness is relative.

Most of my friends say that I play my music softly, even when I find them actually moderately loud. But I do know that they do not equate loudness with quality. So...people out there that are born deaf?

One of my friends listens at very loud volumes (to me), he says that it's to try and re-create the feeling of being at a live performance. Personally I don't see the point, I really would prefer to still be able to enjoy music in my old age; but to each their own.
Mind you though, this friend owns the Westone UM1 and AKG K26P and he introduced me to this hobby, so he's definitely not one of the masses who think volume is the measure of sound quality.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 40
sometimes you just have to listen to it loud.

its not about quality, its just about hearing this rocking tune and nothing else

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes you just have to listen to it loud.

its not about quality, its just about hearing this rocking tune and nothing else

Nothing else indeed...until you have this damn ringing in your ears the next day, and then some.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 40
Yeah, I hear it all the time.

A couple days ago on the way to work, a woman pulled up next to me with music blaring. Bass slop, distortion, the whole thing. So I rolled down my windows and cranked "Morning Edition" until the cones could barely take it. She shot me a dirty look, and I just smiled and waved. She must have thought NPR was too liberal or something.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 40
car audio gets a bad rap form teen punks... Used to drive me nuts. you can have a clean sounding system that also gets plenty loud... for not a lot of dough if you pick gear wisely.

please... please don't lump all car audio fanatics into that kind of category some of us really are into good sound quality first/foremost.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
car audio gets a bad rap form teen punks... Used to drive me nuts. you can have a clean sounding system that also gets plenty loud... for not a lot of dough if you pick gear wisely.

please... please don't lump all car audio fanatics into that kind of category some of us really are into good sound quality first/foremost.

Ha! I didn't mean to stereotype. I too have rock out sessions where I crank the music but I would like to hear when I am in my 30s and even later. If a car stereo sounds good then I wouldn't mind it to be loud but I have yet to hear someone from my school have a good system but they all talk them up like they are awesome.

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #14 of 40
There is this certain amount of volume which corresponds with the amount on which the recording is recorded. For exmaple with my speakers I have to put the volume to around 40 to hear the real volume of a guitar or piano. So up to that level volumeincrease is qualityincrease. Trying to run your car on a mere bassexplosion is just dumb behaviour.
Also when I travel in train or bus (very often I do) there are always some kids wearing buds bashing out trance music at a maximumvolume. I can hardly believe they really enjoy that and furthermore it annoys the people around them. That's why I use the px200 with my portable, they're stealth!

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 40
my friend/colleague listens to dark metal, elektro and gothic with very cheap stockbuds and he cranks it way too loud. When I pointed this out to him he responded it was the only way to "get a bit of bass out of those horrible things". I gave them a listen and indeed they were horrible.
Natural suggetsion on my part: buy a better set or (closed) headphones... he responds it is too expensive
blink.gif
... and getting 'new ears' would cost what?

Thank goodness it is his birthday... I'm just going to get him some Senn PX100 (our offices are relatively quiet, so no real need for closed phones) and I hope he'll be convinced that music doesn't need to be loud then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back