Assistance in purchasing earphones...
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DefStatic

New Head-Fier
So a little background...

I do consider myself an audioholic or audiophile or whatever is the term these days. I kind of consider myself a middle of the road buyer. I don't get the most expensive, but I get the most for what I can afford.

I usually replace factory speakers in my vehicles. I run an all Pioneer setup in my car and an all Infinity Kappa system in my Jeep. I run a Sound Blaster sound card in my PC connected to a beautiful set of Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media. I wish Klipsch made speakers for cars to. They really turned me around in my stance on expensive stuff, and they aren't even the most expensive.

I also own a pair of Senn 429 (I think, something like that) over ear headphones. I like the sound. a little weak on the bass but the mids and highs are brilliant. I also used to own a pair of Sony IE headphones, they used to be like $40 at Walmart. I liked them, the Mids and Highs were a little, flat but it had some decent bass too, just the right amount.

I understand that there is a reason the more expensive a piece sound equipment is. I used to not believe until I got the Klipsch speakers. I would get the Klipsch S4 IEs but there is something about spending $80 on headphone I may very well break or lose that bothers me.

Anyways...

So In Ear Headphones are not my best area of knowledge. I have read on these forums and many other and various websites.

So, with that, My price range is $50, +/- $5. I would prefer something I can get locally but will buy online. These are going to be used with an ipod Touch, Dell Mini, and a PSP. I can be rough on things. I do lose things (not like I used to when i was a kid). I used to want a pair that had a remote/min in them, but quite frankly that is kind of dumb for an iPod or PSP, but it would be a plus. I want a little bass, but not so much that it sounds like poo or ruins the rest of the music. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly rock/metal/hardcore.

I was looking at some Sonys at Best Buy on sale for $31:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Ear+Bud+Headphones+-+Black/9495263.p?id=1218114248887&skuId=9495263

Best Buy also has a pair of these for only $45:
http://www.v-moda.com/headphones/faze.aspx

The good thing is too is I have a $20 gift card to radio Shak just sitting there.

These are just ones I have looked at for now. I am open to any other suggestions or ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 4
For budget, go Koss Porta Pros

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 4
For a very affordable high bang for the buck IEMs, I would lean you towards Fischer Audio.  They are a Russian company that's been around for a while but has only recently come into the US.  Bugden Audio is a main website catering to the US market.  The Eterna and Silver Bullet are two very popular and well liked models in their line at a budget price.  There's reviews on this forum that describe both.  Despite their relatively recent introduction to most folks here, they have become quite a hit for products sub $100.  The Soundmagic PL50 has been extremely popular as well and is a big bang for the buck product.  The Cyclone PR1 Pro and Hippo VB are a couple others that also offer a lot of bang for the buck. 

The right choice comes down to your own personal preference.  Each option offers their own flavor, so take careful note of your preferences.  This is incredibly important.  Know what you want.  Know what you like.  Know what you don't like.  Understand what you prefer.  Then read through a slew of reviews and user comments on all the major options.  A specific earphone should pop out as sounding most like what you want.  Others might be geared towards a sound you may not like.  I'd hate for you to end up with a product that may be good but sound completely different from what you like.  Even if it's good, you'd be disappointed.  Research, research, research.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Someday I hope to revisit this topic, and expect to pay closer to $100 for IEMs. I am pretty sure when I am ready to I will get the S4i's.

I ended up going to Radio Shak to try the V-Moda Faze's. But I ended up getting their Auvio Elements. $25, minus $15 I had on a gift card, and there it was.

I have to say, for $25, they pack as much punch as the $50 Sony's I had before. I am not the happiest, but I am not disappointed either. the bass response is amazing, for the price. Its surprising clean. However, while the mids and highs are there, thats all they are. There is no brilliance to them, no punch, no crispness, nothing. Kind of flat. I could probably make it better if I could adjust the EQ.

I've listened to everything from hardcore, to jazz, to live, to rapcore, to punk, to classic rock, even some electronic stuff. Anything close to rap/hip-hop sounds great. The majority of my music is MP3 at 192 or higher. I know, I know, 256 is the standard now. Wasn't 5 years ago and I am not re-ripping 300 CDs. The bass is just crazy. But I think my introduction to Klipsch products has forever ruined me from other stuff. But that is not a bad thing.

The style and comfort is quite nice. something that turned me off from the V-Moda Fazes is they looked a little, glamorous. For $25, these Auvio Elements will do. i can throw these around and not worry about losing them. Someday when i am comfortable I will get the S4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back