ASL MGHead EL84 tuberolling (Nick & Co.)
Aug 22, 2002 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
All I read here is about tweaks and tuberolling on the 5751 center tube, my question is, does anybody try to roll the pair of EL84 for better tubes than the JJ/Tesla or Ei Yugo, like an RCA or Sylavania or Telefunken or any other better brand? Does it really make any improvement in the sound...

Aug 22, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 13
A little bird whispered in my ear that the Sylvania 7189 is a better substitute than the JJ EL84. I haven't tried it myself, but if you would like to experiment with this...

http://www.tubeman.com/item98.htm

Aug 22, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the answer Nick, but I think this "experiment" is a little bit expensive, about $72.00, my question is do you really think it worth? By the way do you have any place right now where to get any 5751 Sylvania or RCA black plates, I got a GE but I would like to try something better first considering that is only one tube, and then if I couldn't find any other cheaper EL84 I will go for those...let mek now please!

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Isn't a matched pair of JJ's at least $40 shipped? Nice EL84 are going to cost. It is going to be true at some cost point that the sonic benefits of better tubes will be smaller than the benefits of a better amp. But that is not counting the value of the fun of the tuberolling!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Isn't a matched pair of JJ's at least $40 shipped? Nice EL84 are going to cost. It is going to be true at some cost point that the sonic benefits of better tubes will be smaller than the benefits of a better amp. But that is not counting the value of the fun of the tuberolling!
smily_headphones1.gif

You are so right...good EL84s can break the bank. Putting $300 of tubes in a $300 amp doesn't make $600 sound. It's fun to tuberoll, especially if you already have the tubes and aren't spending any money to play the game. If I was buying a new Head and wanted to improve the sound with a sane amount of money I would buy a matched pair of EI Elite gold pin EL84 from Antique Electric Supply for $20 and then hunt down a 5751, 7025 or Mullard or Amperex 12AX7 and call it good. If that doesn't do the trick then it's time to move up to a better amp.

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Yea that's true but a better amp will cost you at least the double, unless DIY, and for the 275.00 I paid for the OTL new version, improved and brand new, I can't complain, I don't think I can get too many better choices in the market right now, and I think this is a good amp, at least better that a lot that cost more, I do believe that with a nice set of tubes and my HD600, it will sound pretty good for the money, of course I still have to improve the 600 cable and get a decent short extension 9' , by the way where to get one, even used?

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 13
Timoteus that's the point, I already have a match pair of JJ/EL84, almost new, with just a few of days of use, do you think that this EI elite gold pins will make any noticeable difference? According to Nick and some other hifiers they preffers the JJ (that's why I got these) but an spare pair will not harm anybody, just in case, by the way the stock tubes don't have any brand on them, how can I know which are?

Aug 22, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Timoteus that's the point, I already have a match pair of JJ/EL84, almost new, with just a few of days of use, do you think that this EI elite gold pins will make any noticeable difference? According to Nick and some other hifiers they preffers the JJ (that's why I got these) but an spare pair will not harm anybody, just in case, by the way the stock tubes don't have any brand on them, how can I know which are?

Yeah, Nick and others like the JJs. I have used and like the original Ei, the Elites are new and are selected for low noise and so should sound even better or at least provide a blacker background than the original Ei. The Ei are made on the old Philips machinery that made the famous Amperex Bugle Boys which I currently use in my Head. The Ei have the same internal structure as the Amperex BB. Having both JJ and Ei sounds like a good idea if you need a backup pair, and you could always recoup your money on your least favorite pair by selling on the For Sale forum. What I meant in my previous post is that if I had a new Head with stock tubes those are the tubes I would get to start. Since you already have JJs you may not want to go that route.

I believe the stock tubes are still Sovtek but sometimes they substitute a 6P14 which sounds better than the Sovtek.

smily_headphones1.gif
Fun stuff, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 13
I would recommend the Ei Elites. I got mine from www.tube-shop.com, and I use them in my HAP-02, which has the same tube compliment/complement...er...tubage as the MG Head.

Aug 23, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Check eBay... and if you lose out on an auction of multiple tubes, you might want to bug the winner... I just got about 15 el84s (Ei, GE, a Sovtek, and an unknown ECC83 with REALLY hefty internal construction) for $10 this way...

Aug 23, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 13
Yeah, I just placed and order of the Ei elite, let's see when they arrive how they will sound, anyway will I need also a fancy 5751, let's see on eBay, I got an GE JAN but is not enough, for me at least

Users who are viewing this thread

Back