ASL MG Head OTL MKII For Senn HD580's?
Jan 17, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 20
ok, I finally auditioned the mg head mk3! ...and bought it!
quite impressive indeed, but still there somenthing that seems wrong...
in the shop it seemed to have more bass with trasnformer output, while at home it's pratically no bass.

i thought about the source, but it's strange because even if i'm trying it with a (good) pc sound card, there should not be such a difference...

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh
saint.panda, are there any tubes that can kill the siroupy sound on the mg head?

I only used the word sirupy in the context because it's not really that extreme. About the tubes, I borrowed a couple from headfier JaZZ but I can't remember which ones were less warm than the others. The only one I recall faring particularly well with the MG Head (and of which I remembered the name) was a Telefunken ECC82, which I bought from ebay for around $20.

There's an extensive tube rolling homepage about the MG Head made by Nick Dangerous. I don't have the link right now but if you search the headfi archives, it's bound to turn up somewhere.

In any case, re-reading my post above I think it's giving a darker view on the Mg Head than it deserves. For its used price it's pretty decent value if you're looking for tube warmth.

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I only used the word sirupy in the context because it's not really that extreme. About the tubes, I borrowed a couple from headfier JaZZ but I can't remember which ones were less warm than the others. The only one I recall faring particularly well with the MG Head (and of which I remembered the name) was a Telefunken ECC82, which I bought from ebay for around $20.

There's an extensive tube rolling homepage about the MG Head made by Nick Dangerous. I don't have the link right now but if you search the headfi archives, it's bound to turn up somewhere.

In any case, re-reading my post above I think it's giving a darker view on the Mg Head than it deserves. For its used price it's pretty decent value if you're looking for tube warmth.

too late, i already bought it
biggrin.gif
tnx anyway

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #19 of 20
I have the MKII and 600s. I replaced input and output tubes with Black Plates. I love the combo, but the OTL is not enough power unless you like the fuzzy imaging that a lack of power gives. Maybe the 580s are different, but I needed the transformer to keep the music coherent.

confused.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #20 of 20
I'm buying a good old fashioned MG Head OTL MkII and coupling it with a new HD580. I've demoed *a lot* of gear over the last five years. This combo is still the best performing for the money (optimal price/performance). Especially if you get one used.

What prompted this purchase? My KSC-35's finally broke.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back