Asking for some headphone recommendations.
Apr 21, 2006 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm off to college in a few months, and so I was wondering what combination of headphones and amps I should get. I was thinking of getting the Grado RS-1s and pair it with the Grado amps. I'll be listening only to classical music, and my source will probably be uncompressed CD images stored on my computer. Thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer
Well, I'm off to college in a few months, and so I was wondering what combination of headphones and amps I should get. I was thinking of getting the Grado RS-1s and pair it with the Grado amps. I'll be listening only to classical music, and my source will probably be uncompressed CD images stored on my computer. Thanks in advance.

Classical music with an RS-1? I've done that... wasn't impressed at all by it. Try a sennheieser HD600/650 or a Beyerdynamic DT880 with maybe a headroom desktop amplifier/or corda aria.... they all sound good with classical.
depending on how much Money you want to put into it... there are all kinds of upgrades: soundcards/ separate DA converts/amplifiers/cables/power conditioners that are part of the music chain and can all add up to a nice listening rig.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Classical music with an RS-1? I've done that... wasn't impressed at all by it. Try a sennheieser HD600/650 or a Beyerdynamic DT880 with maybe a headroom desktop amplifier/or corda aria.... they all sound good with classical.
depending on how much Money you want to put into it... there are all kinds of upgrades: soundcards/ separate DA converts/amplifiers/cables/power conditioners that are part of the music chain and can all add up to a nice listening rig.

Heh. Thank you for that prompt reply. Money isn't that much of an issue. I'll look into each item you've mentioned more in-depth.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 5
If money isnt an issue, nothign does classical better than an electrostatic headphone. Look into Stax options, or maybe the Koss 950.

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 5
if that is the case here is more:
computer set up: squeezebox> Channel Islands VDA2> Corda Prehead MKII> ATH L3000 or Equinox HD650.
hyper big money: The Orpheus... a 10K headphone monitoring system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back