Asked a lot but... LCD-2 Rev 2. vs HE-500
Jan 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bclark8923

500+ Head-Fier
I've been reading every post here about it and these two seem to be head to head in many different ways with many different ears.

Does anyone know a way of picking up both or a way I could get them to try out and then make a decision? It seem that's the only way this can be solved from reading and reading and reading.

I listen to Dub, House, Rock, Indie, etc.

I have bass head headphones (Ultrasone Pro 900s) and starter hifi (Beyerdynamic DT770s)

Seems near impossible to tell from just reading which to pick.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 9
The Cable Company has a headphone lending library. They send you the headphones to audition for a couple weeks, you pay 5% deposit. When you choose which one you want the 5% goes towards the purchase of a new one from them. I have not used the service myself but plenty of people talk about it on here.

enjoy

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been reading every post here about it and these two seem to be head to head in many different ways with many different ears.

Does anyone know a way of picking up both or a way I could get them to try out and then make a decision? It seem that's the only way this can be solved from reading and reading and reading.

I listen to Dub, House, Rock, Indie, etc.

I have bass head headphones (Ultrasone Pro 900s) and starter hifi (Beyerdynamic DT770s)

Seems near impossible to tell from just reading which to pick.
The 2.2s for that style music.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Even though I prefer HE-500, I would go LCD-2 rev2 considering those genres you listed...

You should realise that the bass of HE-500 is not close to accuracy and tightness of the LCD-2. The bass of HE-500 is wooly and unfocused and to get it into "tolerable" state even in eyes of a critical listener, you have to acquire a very well synergizing amplifier that can provide the power/current Hifiman HE-500 need. Even then, HE-500 are SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE in terms of bass quality than LCD-2 rev2.

On the other hand, you should also consider the fact that LCD-2 are very uncomfortable headphones - not only heavy and with uncomfortable headband (the same with HE-500 for both points) but with very very significant clamping force (this is a significant difference between LCD-2 and HE-500).

Both are similar in tonality but HE-500 are more neutral and provide a bit better soundstage, they sound a bit more open. LCD-2, on the other hand, sound almost like a closed-back headphone.

Technically, I find the LCD-2 to be a bit more advanced headphones... More accurate, more reference-like sound. HE-500 are just slightly more blurred and unfocused.

In the end, I would buy a HE-500 for myself... Because of the better comfort and closer-to-neutral tonality.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Vastly preferred the LCD2. Would take them any day.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 9
I went back and forth between these two for a loooooong time before making a decision, like you I was hearing a lot of views on both phones.

Due to my musical choices( classical, jazz, alt rock) I went with the HE-500. I always wondered if I made the right decision, until I finally got to hear the Audeze. For me, I made the right choice. The audeze did not in the least offer me the realism of the HE-500, they are to me unnaturally dark. Though I didn't have an extensive audition they were not for me.

To the poster that noted a significant advantage in bass quality I disagree somewhat, it really depends on the type of bass you are listening to. DnB? LCD. Timpani or upright? He-500

The audeze are great phones, I think they would suit your tastes better.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 9
I went back and forth between these two for a loooooong time before making a decision, like you I was hearing a lot of views on both phones.

Due to my musical choices( classical, jazz, alt rock) I went with the HE-500. I always wondered if I made the right decision, until I finally got to hear the Audeze. For me, I made the right choice. The audeze did not in the least offer me the realism of the HE-500, they are to me unnaturally dark. Though I didn't have an extensive audition they were not for me.

To the poster that noted a significant advantage in bass quality I disagree somewhat, it really depends on the type of bass you are listening to. DnB? LCD. Timpani or upright? He-500

The audeze are great phones, I think they would suit your tastes better.

Bass guitar most of the time... I consider the lack of tightness and precision in bass as the biggest weakness of HE-500. LCD-2 too have a bit too much bass quantity to my liking but it's at least tight and clean enough.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 9
I have been thinking about both of the headphones.

I usually listen to rock and blues....love electric guitars.

Which of these phones for music like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back