ASIO Questions
May 14, 2017 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zenrap518

100+ Head-Fier
I will soon get an O2/ODAC combo from Massdrop and was wondering if using ASIO will make a big difference. I will use Fidelify at 320kbps to use ASIO. I was also wondering is i could run multiple audio programs at once (eg: Listening to music while on skype, while gaming). Thanks for the help in advance! :D

Zen

May 14, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 5
The main benefit of ASIO is low latency. This is important for pro audio applications such as live monitoring and recording. It could also be a small advantage in competitive gaming where fast reactions are needed.

From the Fidelify home page:
Fidelify uses Spotify Core to deliver streaming content directly to the soundcard, using either ASIO or WASAPI. This enables the user to easily avoid sampling conversion or mixing, ensuring a bit perfect stream.
You need sample rate conversion and mixing to listen to multiple programs at once, so it seems ASIO is not for you.

May 16, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 5
I will soon get an O2/ODAC combo from Massdrop and was wondering if using ASIO will make a big difference. I will use Fidelify at 320kbps to use ASIO. I was also wondering is i could run multiple audio programs at once (eg: Listening to music while on skype, while gaming). Thanks for the help in advance! :D

Zen

You normally can't use ASIO I/O from more than one software at once (not multiclient device driver) because the device becomes locked for the 1st software using it.

By installing software as like VB-Audio's Voicemeeter Banana you be able to have ASIO as your main playback device and send data for it through virtual audio cable(s) from multiple sources at once.

May 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 5

Zen
as they say, the benefit of an exclusive bit perfect streaming lies in it's exclusivity. if you need a mixer to get several sound sources at once, then in the process you forfeit both bit perfect and exclusivity, making asio meaningless.
stay with windows mixer or if you somehow think it is better, try wasapi on foobar but not in exclusive mod so windows still mixes whatever other sound sources you want.
I would use virtual cables only if my sound card had some nasty effect I can't get rid of. or for more complicated redirection where virtual cables might be the only option. but here what you're looking for is windows default behavior so you might want to try that first ^_^.

May 16, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 5
All I can say I can hear a noticeable improvement when using Spotify Premium @320kbps -> VB-Audio ASIO Bridge -> ASIO Driver (or ASIO4ALL) over using a DAC directly as a Windows sounds device.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back