Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jan 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #901 of 2,994
Quote:
Anyone here heard (相対性理論) Soutaiseiriron?

If you've heard anything by Etsuko Yakushimaru, this her band in which she performs vocals.

If you haven't heard Etsuko Yakushimaru before, she's done some fantastic stuff with others as well:

Someone else posted their songs before, but most of what you posted has never been posted in this thread before, and it's really good stuff! Thanks so much!

I'm one of those people who is very hard to impress, since I'm a composer/musician/songwriter myself, and have been into eclectic genres and Asian music for decades.

My criteria for great songs is basically this combination:

-Aesthetically pleasing
-Artistically interesting
-Emotional resonance
-Intellectual substance

95% of the stuff that gets posted here is quite bland to me--just the same old formula of very conventional sounding pop, rock, metal, dance, rap, ballads, etc. Even a lot of the current bands who puts on pretentious rebellious images and try to rock out, sounds exactly like all the other bands that are out there or came before them--very few actually are unique and interesting enough, as well as write excellent songs that aren't simply total derivatives of what's come before. Most rely on polished production while writing the same damn chord progressions, simple melodies, passable rock-styled vocals, typical arrangements, and a lot of visual stuff that's got nothing to do with music. So much flash and so little substance.

The projects that Etsuko Yakushimaru get involved with that you posted are definitely more along the kind of music I would enjoy.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #903 of 2,994
The only station i listen to is my kpop one.  Honestly i dont know why its just what ive loved, gets me pumped.  If anyone would want suggestions on songs id love to help, as i listen to atleast 8-10 hours a day, through work and at home.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #907 of 2,994
I really like this song. The girls are pretty as well, which never hurts 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #908 of 2,994
Quote:
Does anyone know of any decent Asian classical or folk artists?
I found Yuja Wang from somewhere here in Head-Fi. I'm mostly interested in folk now though. Songs from the Yoshida Brothers or 12 Girls Band are really relaxing to me.

Generic Erhu example
:

Her playing's a bit too showy though. I'll try and find my folk playlist, though to be honest it's mostly jap stuff in there. 

Quote:
I'm glad you liked it :) I actually went back to play some of the Leaf's games (Leaf is the game company that made the original songs) to listen to the original songs and compare to the high quality arrangement, it was a lot of fun. I also recommend the O.S.T. from Ragnarok Online. It's a medieval themed 2.5D MMORPG from around 10 years ago, still one of the most popular MMORPG's in Japan. The bgm's are composed by a group of music genius from South Korea, known as the SoundTemp. Check out "Silver Bell," it's a bgm for a harbor city in the game, there's one hidden element in the song that makes the music better than any other bgm's I've ever heard, I bet you'll notice it.

Unrelated, but is Ragnarok as good as people say it is? Might, possibly start it up. Good BGMs is just icing on top.

Anyone know some bands with airy, soft female vocals like this? Or the Etsuko stuff above'd be a good example.

Also finally found lalalarks demo.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #910 of 2,994
Triple post 
eek.gif
, but just found an actually interesting rendition of the most overexposed K-Pop song this year. You know the one.

I forgive their terribad pronoucation of korean.

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #913 of 2,994
I don't like Love Recipe or the title track, but all in all, an improvement musically from post-Color Your Soul albums. Still hesitant on it though. It's crazy how it's only been out for a week, and people have really good remixes for some of the tracks already.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #915 of 2,994
Quote:
I don't like Love Recipe or the title track, but all in all, an improvement musically from post-Color Your Soul albums. Still hesitant on it though. It's crazy how it's only been out for a week, and people have really good remixes for some of the tracks already.

Clazziquai is known for having mad remixes. Always.

FPM, Nakata, P'ez, Daishi dance, etc etc. Ain't easy getting big names to remix your stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back