Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jul 6, 2011 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,994

LegendaryLvl1

100+ Head-Fier
Sup guys...

I've always noticed that the music section lacks an Asian influence (of course, I understand that there are a great deal of you who listen to classical pieces from India, Turkey etc etc)

I was wondering if any of you listened to East Asian music (excluding any classical pieces), and how or what your experience was with them.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 2,994
I personally love listening to all of the above, I prefer them over english music due to me being able to feel their music more. Don't get me wrong I love english rock, pop and rnb, it's just personal preference.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 2,994
Hong Kong pop music used to be good during the 70s and 80s; afterwards it was trash.  I put the watershed at 1992, the year when Aaron Kwok and Charlie Yeung appeared -- this is when local companies realised that trash could sell.

Taiwan used to have a good tradition of folk/folkish singers who graced the music scene -- always enjoy Chi Yi -- although in recent years you'll more likely find trashy faux-R&B music.

Mainland China has been infected with faux-R&B since day 1 and the market is strongly hype-driven (the "internet singers" craze circa 2006 flooded the whole China with talentless hacks).  Unless you're ready to go underground, don't bother.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 2,994

Quote:
Hong Kong pop music used to be good during the 70s and 80s; afterwards it was trash.  I put the watershed at 1992, the year when Aaron Kwok and Charlie Yeung appeared -- this is when local companies realised that trash could sell.

Taiwan used to have a good tradition of folk/folkish singers who graced the music scene -- always enjoy Chi Yi -- although in recent years you'll more likely find trashy faux-R&B music.

Mainland China has been infected with faux-R&B since day 1 and the market is strongly hype-driven (the "internet singers" craze circa 2006 flooded the whole China with talentless hacks).  Unless you're ready to go underground, don't bother.

Funny you mentioned 1992 because that's the year that I associated with the demise of HK pop as well.  Since I grew up with Sam Hui, his announcement of retiring from music basically killed my love for the genre.  On top of that, the decreasing production quality of albums from many established stars and the lack of creative energy made the genre irrelevant for me.  I stayed away from HK pop for a long time....years....until my ex made me attend concerts by the likes of Twins, Eason Chan, etc.  OMG!  How the mighty has fallen. 
confused_face.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 2,994
Only Ayumi Hamasaki so far. Oh, and anime music.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 2,994
are you looking for asian producers/composers in general or type of asian culture type of music like from soundtracks like ''Hero'' or ''The last samurai'' where they use asian based instruments?

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 2,994
     Quote:
I like Korean raps because its not just about drugs and sex like in most of American raps...

Not to mention it can and often does sound just as hard; as well as more melodic, and the beats are sick 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Its so worth it though. Chinese Anti-foreign rage inspired black metal is so good. From deep within the Beijing underground 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back