Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,838 of 2,994
Phew! This lady is good! Nice control, support and intonation. And such a warm sound (though this particular recording doesn't necessarily capture it that well). Imo, she has studied with someone good to be able to hit those high notes so well near the end.

You are right. She has amazing vocal control. Really impressed by her vocal performance. New fan now. I really like Ha Yea Song(송하예) vocal qualities as well.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,843 of 2,994
I didn't notice their success until I saw their presence on night talk shows. The stat that struck me is, 3 #1 albums within a year? Personally, I'm not a fan of their music as I'm not into boy groups, but it's just really fascinating how they achieved such a success. I mean there's only one English speaking member in the group! It's very rare to find a foreign language artists to win in an English language country, and the chances of it being an Asian language is minor. It's interesting how things turn out these days. I looked up the statistics, and the biggest fan base outside Korea is in USA?!

It's interesting how this style really clicked with foreign audiences. I've heard plenty of kpop that mimics American mainstream music, and you'd think the better success would be something more familiar to American music. Perhaps, the style is different enough to be something new? This, I'm trying to figure out.

What's really interesting is that they are managed by Big Hit Entertainment, not the big three, JYP, SM Ent., or YG, which dominate the music market in Korea. This is not a easy feet outside these three big labels as they have huge influence in marketing and connections.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #2,847 of 2,994
I'm out of touch with modern dance performances. Korean boybands has sprung up from certain influences I'm sure. I think this style of dance performance first came up from TV XQ
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVXQ

I think the dance style influence of Micheal Jackson on these boy groups show, although the styles has evolved into different varieties will in due time distinct to a culture.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,848 of 2,994
I'm out of touch with modern dance performances. Korean boybands has sprung up from certain influences I'm sure. I think this style of dance performance first came up from TV XQ
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVXQ

I think the dance style influence of Micheal Jackson on these boy groups show, although the styles has evolved into different varieties will in due time distinct to a culture.

The male idol groups have sort of their own style of dance/performance. I'd describe it as very jazzed-up hip-hop, with alot of posing, locking and waving. And maybe some elements of martial arts thrown in. MJ would certainly be one of the influences.

The choreography in their up-tempo performances is probably not much different than the type of routines you'd see in a hip-hop dance team competition in the US.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #2,850 of 2,994
The male idol groups have sort of their own style of dance/performance. I'd describe it as very jazzed-up hip-hop, with alot of posing, locking and waving. And some elements of martial arts thrown in. MJ would certainly be one of the influences.

The choreography in their up-tempo performances is probably not much different than the type of routines you'd see in a hip-hop dance team competition in the US.
BBoy was a big influence around the world, including Korea I'm sure, but the boy group dance isn't BBoy (at least not today). It's definitely influenced, but also some creations from individual dancers/choreographers. I've seen plenty of original choreography, and the studio choreographers have their signature moves for sure. In these groups, there always at least one expert dancer that is in charge of the style of dancing. Frankly, I'm not into boy band dances as I don't find it that impressive in terms of dance innovations.

Interesting thing I've heard is that when there was a lot of shaw bros kung fu movies imported to New York threatres, black youth were are large audience, and it had influences on the evolution of break dancing. Martial arts and dance, I can see the popularity in the East.

I think at least with old school groups, there were BBoy types mixed in. There were a huge BBoy influence way back. Jay Park for example can do a lot of BBoy moves, but he's not an expert BBoy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back