Ashamed to say it, but I'm finished with upgrades...
Aug 29, 2002 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
I decided today that I am totally happy with what I have, and that further $$$ is somewhat unjustified in my case.

I need to spend more time studying, and less time reading the 'boards. This headphone business has dominated my life this entire year, and this is where I am drawing the line. I'm just going to enjoy the music now (hopefully I can actually add to my collection now). Whatever I do, I am going to try to not listen to any "high-end" systems which will lure me back. Thanks for listening,
tongue.gif

Anyone else care to join the club?

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 21
That's what they all say....
wink.gif

I'd want to join you, but those bloody DAC's shore do look interesting.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 21
biggrin.gif

I've been thinking about it, and I've come to a conclusion.

I will use what I have for the next 6 years, and at that point (when I graduate from Medical School) I will offload the income I receive in my final year of study on a speaker based system, but until then, my wallet is staying in my back pocket!

tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
I decided today that I am totally happy with what I have, and that further $$$ is somewhat unjustified in my case.

I need to spend more time studying, and less time reading the 'boards. This headphone business has dominated my life this entire year, and this is where I am drawing the line. I'm just going to enjoy the music now (hopefully I can actually add to my collection now). Whatever I do, I am going to try to not listen to any "high-end" systems which will lure me back. Thanks for listening,
tongue.gif

Anyone else care to join the club?

me too. i am planning on getting HD600 and that'll be the END of my headphone upgraditis. i'll try to withdraw from this forum slowly too. it's been dominating too much of my time
rolleyes.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 21
Ah yes....school
smily_headphones1.gif

I was in this boat. I had some stock headphones; I wanted better. I researched and for the entry price point, I grabbed some SR-60s. That was in '97, my 3rd year of undergrad. It HAD to do. I needed my money for school. Now then, I am still in school, I will be for 5 more years (law school presently, medical school starting 2003). Now I have a shanling, 2x HP-1000s, RS-1s, RA-1, Etys, and a suped up CHA47. You wanna know my secret? A working wife!

I searched a woman who would not only support me, but would pay for this insane hobby. Still in school remember, but she buys me all this stuff....sweet isn't it!?!

(Okay, I work a lot too, so in reality I pay for it myself, but the steady income from a significant other ensures that food will always be on the table.)

So go out and find yerself a wife!
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 21
congratulations.

maybe we need to start a new thread: "how long have you been clean?"

and get a sponsor system, somebody to pm when we are in danger of falling off the bandwagon. haven't felt the need to upgrade in months, only checking head-fi cursorily.

now if i could only get off photo.net, photocritique.net..........

Aug 29, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Join Team Dropout? NEVER!
wink.gif

Why not? I spent ten years on Team Dropout before this attack of headphone fever hit. I played around with video, but did nothing to upgrade audio...no need. I figure I'm about a year or two away from going as far as I want to go with this round of audio upgrades. By then, my expectations are that the systems I want to keep will be settled, I'll sell off the ones I'm not using, and be off to something else. I'll still be heavily into listening...that's permanent...just not the equipment upgrade cycle. I have a lot of fun playing with equipment, but if it reaches the point where the equipment cycle is distracting from, rather than enhancing, the listening experience, it becomes time to give it a rest.

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by legoman

now if i could only get off photo.net, photocritique.net..........

I think Photography is similiar, the pleasure is not from the equipment, it's from the joy of the result, like music reproduction. But the difference is that after you get good at photography, the camera become the tool, it's what you know in your head that gives you the great pictures. You can go from a Canon EOS1V to a EOS300 and still be able to take great photos.

And there are endless amount of lenses to get, so the limitation is almost endless.

Aug 29, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 21
I agree with Zanth. My wife just opened a boutique and seems to be making quite good money. I won't be getting the Orpheus soon, but I think I could pay off my credit card this year and, maybe, get something for me on Xmas.

But for the most part of the last two years I have been on Team Dropout too. I am still using my old Pana SL-SX500 (made in 1997), with it's not working volume control, a bad amp and good cans. I have some Jazz cd's and some other I made with MP3's (I know, it sucks, but it's free and okay for the car). And I'll be like this, if everything is good and acording to my plans, for some 18 months. No Njoe Tjoeb cd player, no Pioneer universal player, no Wave AV8 monoblocks, no DIY speakers with Lowther drivers. But perhaps a Model Two radio in Xmas. The point is, after all the money I spent on CD's for the last 15 years or so, the lack of time to learn electronics in order to "home grow" some components of my own, I think I'll be out of touch with most of my friends here. I feel kinda bad about it, but such is life. Sometimes you have to admit your limitations and just wait for your chance to do better.
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin

I think Photography is similiar, the pleasure is not from the equipment, it's from the joy of the result, like music reproduction. But the difference is that after you get good at photography, the camera become the tool, it's what you know in your head that gives you the great pictures. You can go from a Canon EOS1V to a EOS300 and still be able to take great photos.

And there are endless amount of lenses to get, so the limitation is almost endless.

That is the advantage of photocritique.net over photo.net. Instead of debating equipment and creating equipment envy, it is sharing pictures and thus mostly wow, how did they see this, meaning i could have probably done the same thing with my equipment given the right location / eye / skill.

Unfortunately we can't do the same in hifi. We can talk about music and share recommendation, but short of creating our own music......

Aug 30, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I have a lot of fun playing with equipment, but if it reaches the point where the equipment cycle is distracting from, rather than enhancing, the listening experience, it becomes time to give it a rest.

Thats it in a nutshell, and thats why I gave myself a rest. Sometimes I wish I kept all the headphones I ever bought and not sold any of them; that would be nice I suppose. But really, my best headphones experiences have been when I strap a CamelBak of water on my back, load up the PCDP, and head outside (I live in the foothills around Santa Fe) with the HP2. Its a 'practice' (in the same sense that word is used to describe meditation.) Its amazing!
Having an inventory of headphones that doesnt fit into a practice or ritual way of listening seems alien to me, but god it was nice to have had the K1000 and W2002, even though they are gone now. I just cant sit still long enough to hold on to any 'home based' headphones. I havent known that about myself but only for about a month now. I'm ok with it. I suppose.

But one of you please sell me some RS1's! Cummon now. Do it! I dont expect them to be better than my HP2's (which I'm keeping) but I want them, to maintain my sanity (sounds like I need another rest?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back