As much as it pains me to say, I have been transformed to a speaker user
Mar 15, 2009 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I heard my friends Logitech 2.1 speakers. I believe they were 'X-240s.' When I heard them I was very surprised at the sound that was produced despite they're £30 price on Amazon. So that day I went into my local town to look for a pair of speakers that I could use when not using headphones for whatever reason, mainly for when my parents are out and I can actually play music at whatever volume I want.

I looked in every shop in town and couldn't find any I liked. Then on a whim I visited Toys 'R' Us and they had a pair of 'JBL Spots.' The price was not indicated on the box, nor was it on the shelf, so I asked the guy that worked there to scan them. He came back and told me that they were £39.99 and I was astounded as I thought I had seen them for around £80 on Apple's website. So without hearing them I bought them thinking they must at least be descent, purely because I knew about the reputation of the 'JBL Creature' 2.1 speakers.

When I got home, before I even listened to them, I looked around the internet for prices of these little babies, £88.03 on Apple and £93 on Amazon, whereas I got them for more than half that price! I then plugged them in thinking they would sound nice. I was, however, gobsmacked at how good these sounded!

They were far superior to my headphones (Senn HD485 and yes I know they aren't great) everything about them was better and oh my goodness the bass that the subwoofer produces. It makes my whole bedroom vibrate, yet it is so small! probably about 12 inches in diameter to be precise. Even the satellites themselves are tiny! they are only about 3 inches in diameter. Despite the small size, they fill the whole upstairs of my house with wonderful sound and much of downstairs too.

Sorry about the rant and I apologize if it was 2 minutes that you will never get back I just thought it is funny how much some audio equipment can surprise you
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 37
God no wonder you have so many posts, you just go and ruin peoples threads with pointless comments that are not contributing to what the O.P made a thread about in the first place. Also, just for the record I have heard Hifi Speakers and a good sub, I was just noting at how shocked I was from the sound that came out of such small speakers and such a tiny sub.

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 37
I'm thinking of going the way of speakers again as well, so I can share the fun with my family, as they like it too, though don't share the same musical tastes always.

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of going the way of speakers again as well, so I can share the fun with my family, as they like it too, though don't share the same musical tastes always.

My family doesn't wanna hear anything I put out on my speakers. That's the reason I went headphone on them, now they're saying headphone's bad for your ears and they complain about how I can't hear them when they try to talk to me
confused_face.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 37
I too, just went the speaker route. Though they(Monitor audio RS1) sound pretty decent, they are still not up to the level of my HD600. I suppose one needs to spend alot more to even get comparable performance.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God no wonder you have so many posts, you just go and ruin peoples threads with pointless comments that are not contributing to what the O.P made a thread about in the first place. Also, just for the record I have heard Hifi Speakers and a good sub, I was just noting at how shocked I was from the sound that came out of such small speakers and such a tiny sub.

beerchug.gif
, but lets keep it civil, aye?

as far as finding a good deal, thumbs up, but gotta say, I chuckled when I read you found them at Toys-R-Us

recently I've been listening to my speakers more than my hp's, it is a welcome change, although I do find that hp's are equally enjoyable at times

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 37
If you're thinking "Wow, speakers sound so much better than headphones" then you should change your headphone rig. Generally speaking a headphone will sound much better, letting you hear details that are almost impossible for a speaker to replicate. Moreover, headphones are much better value.

That said however, I LOVE my speaker set-up. I love the dynamics, the vibrations, the soundstage, depth/imaging, the fun of setting up and positioning the setup and the freedom to move my head and body. But I won't use it for critical listening...

*Edit: I'm not trying to diss your set-up or anything, but a subwoofer that tiny will not produce "amazing bass", try 12" and you're getting closer...

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're thinking "Wow, speakers sound so much better than headphones" then you should change your headphone rig. Generally speaking a headphone will sound much better, letting you hear details that are almost impossible for a speaker to replicate. Moreover, headphones are much better value.

its a different set of experiences, headphones fill your ears, speakers fill the room, sometimes you just wanna crank it up and be obnoxious with your music
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 37
^Exactly which is why I love my speakers so much.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 37
I still enjoy both but if you think headphones are expensive wait till you get addicted
to nice towers and subs the dollar signs start flowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back