As if they weren't expensive enough already...
May 27, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 15
I heard one of them about a month or 2 ago, the 802D to be specific. It's the tweeter that isn't there, it really is transparent in more ways than one. No, "omg, the highs!" "wow, listen to that sparkle!", it just does its job and gets completely out of the way.

May 27, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 15
They're not that expensive, especially not for a reference speaker series. In fact, they're pretty much par for the course. There are a LOT of speakers in the 800 series' price range. Of course, they're expensive if you're new to the hobby (sticker shock can be pretty bad at first), but their price is not at all unusual. Also, this updated Nautilus range with the diamond tweeter has been out for a while now. It's not exactly new news.

May 27, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 15
Yeah, the expensive thing was supposed to be as a joke, but I couldn't find the right emoticon for sarcasm
tongue.gif
I'm a big fan of the B&Ws and like seeing what they come out with as they've always been pretty innovative. Would love to hear the Nautilus itself though. Has anyone? I only know of a few here down under and guess what, they're all in peoples homes.

May 27, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 15
They sound better and are less bright than the previous series. Good stuff.

What's next...Berrylium?
wink.gif

May 27, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
What's next...Berrylium?
wink.gif

Focal JM Labs Grande Utopia Be (Beryllium):

avantgarde.jpg
classic.jpg
signature.jpg

MSRP - $80,000 pair
Weight - 462 pounds (210kg) each (without packaging)

May 27, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 15
I was thinking about starting a thread that discussed the DVD “A Sound Experience” by B & W that came in one of the somewhat more recent Stereophile issues. It’s a great DVD that I think everyone should check out if they get the chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 15
Actually, isn't diamond a relatively common material used in high-end tweeters?

May 27, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Focal JM Labs Grande Utopia Be (Beryllium):

I know...that's why I gave the wink
wink.gif

They are on the back cover of Stereophile mag.

I will be getting those speakers in my next life
cool.gif

May 28, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
I knew diamonds would be making their way into audiophiledom .... right after gold interconnects
tongue.gif

FYI... Gold is much rarer than diamond. Diamond mines are opperated by a cartel, which makes them more expensive. Platinum and Rhodium(?) are even rarrer.

Synthetic diamond technology is getting more popular. In a few years, Coke cans may be made out of diamond.

Diamond is also a better conductor of heat than silver. I imagine the tweeter could get very hot!

BTW, has anyone built a tweeter out of Cubic Zirconia (the diamond substitute?)?

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I was thinking about starting a thread that discussed the DVD “A Sound Experience” by B & W that came in one of the somewhat more recent Stereophile issues. It’s a great DVD that I think everyone should check out if they get the chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can get this DVD for free from the B&W website http://www.bwspeakers.com/bw800/flash_en.html Click on "Get a DVD" on the bottom right corner. I got mine about 2 weeks after I ordered it. Its a great DVD that goes in depth about B&W's research and development. Has great demo music too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back