as comfortable as Sennheiser HD414?
Nov 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dhalbert

New Head-Fier
I have two pairs of Sennheiser HD414's: a pair from 1974, and the reissue from later. For me, they are the ultimate in comfort: very little tension in the headband, and flat breathing earpads with no circumaural anything. I used to wear them for 6-8 hours at a stretch in college while doing homework. My first pair is getting erratic, and my second pair has been appropriated by my son at college, where they elicit much comment.

Any recommendations for something as comfortable (per the definition above), sounding as good or better than those? I have tried Grado's and they are too clampy for me. I see that people like the HD555 and similar, but I'm not sure about the shaped cushions.

Thank you!
Dan

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 3
Love my own pair of Senn HD 414 anniv headphones. May I suggest a pair of the light weight plastic Grados (SR 60 or 80) with a set of 414 ear cushions and spring the headband a little for best fit.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 3
I've owned my pair of hd414's for about 30 years.  I've replaced both drivers, the cord, and several sets of pads over the last 10 years.  Now, one of the drivers has gone bad.  I contacted Sennheiser to purchase a replacement, they no longer produce them.

Any ideas where I might locate a replacement driver (ear element)?  I really love these headphones and don't want to think about the future without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back