Artists who surprised you with their musicianship?
Nov 3, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 17
The Church -- anyone who saw them (well, just Steve Kilbey and Marty Piper-Willson) on the House of Blues on television will know what I'm talking about.

Stranglers -- listen to the instrumental break in "Too Precious", extremely well-written, melodic, ensemble playing.

Pablo Cruise -- I remember seeing these guys on TV back in the 70's, and that pianist guy has these short stubby little Hawaiian fingers, and he can play octaves and stuff with the best of them. Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
I don't think Tori's piano playing is all that outstanding, although she's got a unique and effective style. Would you like it so much if it was, say, played by an obese senior citizen?

Uh, yeah, actually. That's one of the things I like so much about her, she's a pianist first, and a woman second.

Nov 3, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #17 of 17
I'll chime in with the Dave Grohl vote. His drumming blended in very well with Nirvana's melodies - not like their other drummers.

Here's one that'll really surprise you - Limp Bizkit. It's a shame that Fred Durst is such a dumbass, because he ripped so much musical credibility from such a talented band. Wes Borland was smart enough to jump ship while the going was good, and saving face. <-without Wes, that band will be worse than shaving on PCP
eek.gif
despite the clever rhythm section of Otto and Rivers. Wes is truly a guitar hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back