Artists that are better in Concert
May 25, 2005 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

stevesurf

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I just came back from a Sarah McLachlan concert (Madison Square Garden) and, well, I never knew how good she is live!

So who's your favorite "Concert" artist that their album just doesn't do justice to?

Some others that I've enjoyed better than their studio stuff were...
Aerosmith
Annie Lennox
Allman Brothers
icon10.gif

May 25, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 43
guster and the counting crows, certainly better live than studio. dmb, of course, and...uh, the Who. which is difficult to say since their studio products are so damn amazing, but even now, they tear the roof off of whatever venue they're in.

-james

May 25, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 43
Widespread Panic
Gov't Mule-tough call, since I think their studio stuff is pretty fantastic, but they take it to a whole other level live
Soul Asylum-I was pretty indifferent to their studio stuff, but won tickets from a radio station to see them; amazing show.

May 25, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 43
The Gossip
Tori Amos
Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra
Manitoba [Caribou now I guess]
The Notwist
Lali Puna

They are all great recorded, but absolutely incredible live. The Gossip record their CD's with a ghettoblaster, so suffice it to say that they are not hi-fi.
tongue.gif

May 25, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 43
Annie Lennox
Bruce Springsteen
Elvis Costello

May 25, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 43
Sir Mix-a-lot

May 25, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 43
How can no one have said the GRATEFUL DEAD yet? plus any of the bands like them i guess - Phish, Dave Matthews Band, etc.

May 25, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 43
Almost every blues band I've ever seen live is better then their recorded material. It's just much easier to tune in to the emotional aspects of the music when it's live.

May 25, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
How can no one have said the GRATEFUL DEAD yet? plus any of the bands like them i guess - Phish, Dave Matthews Band, etc.

There are a whole bunch of bands under the title "Jam Bands" that are better live than in the studio. Having seen the Grateful Dead at least 30 times, there is no question in my mind that their live shows are better than any studio album they have put out. Most of the shows I go to are these types of bands. The shows are in small venues and typically cost between $10 and $20. Some of the most enjoyable concerts I've gone to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back