Article: Please Stop "Burning In" Your Earphones
May 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 21
You get burn in just with normal use.

Yessss! Usually I did. But for my hd800s, I wish I would have not burned it by "burn in tracks".
I set a series of tones incl a sim sweep from 10Hz to 20kHz in 2 minutes, a set tone stepping each 10Hz from 20Hz to 100Hz. Each tone is 5 minute long.
A white noise, a pink noise in 15 minutes....

Each 4h - 6h I stop and wait for the next day to comes.

Result : I think I destroyed the cans.
Warmth : reduce
Treble : increase and sharp
Bass : reduce
Mid : lack of warmth and thick bonus sibilance!(warmmer and thicker mid w/o sibilance is a thing I like hd800s than none S one)

For more surely judge I should go to a hp store to confirm with a none burning in hd800s but I didn't.

I think the best way and also more safety is normally listenning some music kind at half vol. Or, just use pink noise and white noise ONLY as burn in signals (w/o any bass note and sweep)

May 28, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #17 of 21
I have a burn in desire to comment

May 29, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 21
Yessss! Usually I did. But for my hd800s, I wish I would have not burned it by "burn in tracks".
I set a series of tones incl a sim sweep from 10Hz to 20kHz in 2 minutes, a set tone stepping each 10Hz from 20Hz to 100Hz. Each tone is 5 minute long.
A white noise, a pink noise in 15 minutes....

Each 4h - 6h I stop and wait for the next day to comes.

Result : I think I destroyed the cans.
Warmth : reduce
Treble : increase and sharp
Bass : reduce
Mid : lack of warmth and thick bonus sibilance!(warmmer and thicker mid w/o sibilance is a thing I like hd800s than none S one)

For more surely judge I should go to a hp store to confirm with a none burning in hd800s but I didn't.

I think the best way and also more safety is normally listenning some music kind at half vol. Or, just use pink noise and white noise ONLY as burn in signals (w/o any bass note and sweep)

So in short you think your hd800s performance is worse because you "burnt in" wrongly. May I ask how long you tried to burn in? Did you compare it with the sound when straight out of the box?

May 29, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #19 of 21
Screenshot_20170529-193808.png
So in short you think your hd800s performance is worse because you "burnt in" wrongly. May I ask how long you tried to burn in? Did you compare it with the sound when straight out of the box?

I have not yet compare to intial out of box condition. I used it normally 3 days (apprx 12 hours ). When I bougt hd800s I stay and listen to it abt 3 hours each days and after 2 days I paid it.
I compare hd800 to 800s carefully like A-B blind test then to choose S one bcs there is exactly different btw them. (One importance thing is no hiss on 800S while 800 has).
So, normally operation time was abt 20 hours.
Next day I put an album and leave it running with headphone overnight. I dont listen again but stopped album in the morning for a working day.
Then I feed set of tones as previous post. I was goiing to feed 8hours (night) x 15 days. But after day 2, I pick it up and got dissapointment !
I cant listen to some my female album bcs hiss easily happen (can use my old hd650 to hear or electrostatic inear also).

There is some incorrect abt series of "burn in tone" at prev post so I post below picture as correction. Tone is 1 Hz stepping 10Hz to 80Hz each tone 30s long(so low range run total 35 minute before to sine sweep and others).
Sweep was 5minutes , I think it is crazy, bcs "treble" range will stay too looooong (mostly over 4.5 minutes). White noise 15 minutes, pink noise 15 minutes.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #20 of 21
So you are talking about sibilance. Honestly I don't think any kind of burn in can worsen this problem, let alone the idea of this post saying burn in has little effect to the sound quality itself.

May 29, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #21 of 21
20170529_225323.jpg
So you are talking about sibilance. Honestly I don't think any kind of burn in can worsen this problem, let alone the idea of this post saying burn in has little effect to the sound quality itself.

You can classify hiss to any term but for me, hiss, sibilance is a sq problem (cause by burn in or not) due to unequally respons in hi freq.
Hd800s known as solved peak of non S one and pity I did check FR at the unbox time. Now, 6khz peak (as non S has) doesnt there but existing 7khz peak.
I am farmiliar with Parametric eq and I did compensation as below.
(Peak@7khz and wide valley 8khz~10khz).
Natural, balance and realistic, sweet sound

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back