ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I have just purchased an ART Legato, to go with my newly purchased Museatex dac (DA44). The DA44 only takes RCA input. The ART comes from the manufacturer's bnc cable, and a bnc to rca adapter.
Regardless, I would want the chance to use a Moray James digital between the two devices (Legato, DA44). Moray's cables are only RCA.
I was wondering: what if I put a BNC-RCA adaptor at the output of Legato, and, subsequently, the Moray digital? Should I expect impedance mismatch? Should such mismatch be much worse than using the first configuration (Legato + bnc cable + bnc to rca adapter to dac), suggested by Pat?

Would there be a way at all to minimize such impedance mismatch, if using an RCA cable like Moray's?
Would I need to measure the impedance of the Moray digital, perhaps, in order to choose the most fitting adapter between Legato and the cable?

Also, would it make more sense if I replaced the BNC output connector of ART Legato, with a RCA output; or, even here, I would incur into impedance mismatches?

Thanks, in case anyone is able to answer to such a specific question.

Tony

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey Tony

I am assuming that the supplied adapter would retain the 75ohm impedance and if the digital cable is correctly designed, then it should too retain the 75ohm impedance - hence avoiding mismatch. I know there is much debate as to whether a true 75ohm RCA exists but I think a handful of companies claim to make such a thing. This bluejeans blurb discusses some of the issues. 

..dB

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Don, for chiming in such a self conscious, yet precisely articulated insanity.

The thing here, is I cannot use the supplied adaptor: that's a female to female BNC/RCA.
I need to use a male BNC/female RCA if I want to take the adapter at the output level of Legato, and have the RCA cable downstream. Then what would assure the retention of the correct impedance matching?

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Out of interest Antony - what software are you using with the Legato?  I can't get it to work consistently on either Foobar or JRiver 
angry_face.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 6
I own a Bidat also and I am interested in buying a Legato USB converter. Did you guys come up with any answers to these questions. I would like to use a James Moray cable with foobar.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi! Sorry guys, I had forgotten about the thread. When owning it , I decided to use the included cable and adapter. Anyway, I wasn't satisfied with the Legato and Idat44m.

The best interface (for now) that I liked with the Idat, has been the Antelope Zodiac gold usb-to-coaxial output.
Obviously, I believe you'll be able to find something equally cool to use with your Bidat and Moray digital cable.

I am waiting for Moray's new digital coaxial cable which should be available in about 1 month, it seems amazing.

Currently, I am using the Belkin digital (rca), I am using a Hiface 2 connected to a iFi Power (usb signal cleaner). You could try a JKenny interface with native coaxial connector for the Moray James; if you want to spend more, then a friend who owns Bidat, and whose judgment I strongly trust, swears by the Diverter HR.

Offramp 4 or 5 should be great options too.

lordearl: I have been using Foobar exclusively, and now am evaluating Jplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back