Art DI/O dilemma... 2 transports, one DAC.
Oct 10, 2002 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
Title says it all. I'm considering using a Y adapter and only keeping one of the transports on at a time... but that kinda sucks. Short of unplugging and re-plugging SP/DIF cables, it's the only solution I can think of right now. Four hours of sleep isn't helping...

How would you deal with this?

Oct 10, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 10
Why not just use a switchbox? With coax, pretty much anything should work, and I know you're good enough at DIY to build your own if you can't find anything to meet your specs...

Better yet, take your Creek OBH passive preamp apart, replace the pot with an ALPS, and stuff the whole works in a new chassis, including coax switch. It'd be nice and elegant, and if you did it right the remote would still work. (Slightly more advanced DIY project: with a little inventiveness, you could probably even have the remote activate the coax switcher.)

Oct 10, 2002 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 10
Argh! Stop tempting me!

"Good enough" and "having the time for" are two different areas to consider.
wink.gif
By the way, I thought the motorized pot in the Creek was fixed to the attenuator. I have never heard of anyone replacing it.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 10
If one of your transports has a Toslink output, you can kill two birds with one stone using a Monarchy DIP. Toslink from one transport to the DIP, coax from the other to the DIP, and use the optical/coax switch on the DIP to select between them. I use this approach with my computer. Sound card output to DIP via Toslink, external DVD player to DIP via coax. You've now got a switch with jitter reduction as a bonus. The older models of the DIP sell for fairly reasonable prices these days (the best value for redbook is the Mark II, which caps at 48 KHz. If you see a 24/96 source in your future, then the Monarchy 24/96 is the way to go. An alternative is the GW Labs DSP, which is a better version of the DIP that can upsample to 24/96 (the DI/O supports this sampling rate). Better still is a Monarchy unit feeding a GW Labs unit...but now I've wandered far from the original question.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 10
You've probably already thought of, and dismissed, these. The Monarchy DIP and the GW Labs DSP both can handle two input sources(S/PDIF, Toslink) and switch between them. This switching was one of the main reasons I purchased a Monarchy. Plus you get some rf filtration and jitter reduction with both, and with the GW Labs you get upsampling. My DAC already had upsampling, so I opted for the Monarchy. I think the jitter reduction circuitry does help out noticeably.
Both of these units show up on Audiogon fairly frequently.

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back