arrrghhh so frustrating
Mar 26, 2006 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
ok i just got my millet, (thanks sennfan), Im currently using them with ad2000/a900ltd on my main rig(pc), burning in my mini-RCA IC. The amp definately extends the range both ways as well as bring in some impact and details. Keisha cole never sounded so good. However the prob is not in the amp, its my dang cans. Now having the amp, i got the bass qualities that i miss from my a500. So much so i dont miss my a500s anymore.

Now heres my prob thats got me flippin. I got the bass that i want now, but the LTDS are still recessed. I think this is an unavoidable of all A-series as i've had a500s and LTDs and listened to reg a900s. With the ad2000, i get wonderfull mids but seems like my 80% of my bass/impact hits my ears, the 20% rest goes outside into the 'air'.For kicks i tried to cover the earcups with my hands, and low and behold, some of that bass/impact comes back in. Enough to vibrate my ears and tickle the inside just like the LTDS only a little softer. Man what i wouldnt give to get a semi closed that had best of both worlds with AT sound. Its like both of these cans are 9/10 and the other can has the other 1/10 and wont share.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
ok i just got my millet, (thanks sennfan), Im currently using them with ad2000/a900ltd on my main rig(pc), burning in my mini-RCA IC. The amp definately extends the range both ways as well as bring in some impact and details. Keisha cole never sounded so good. However the prob is not in the amp, its my dang cans. Now having the amp, i got the bass qualities that i miss from my a500. So much so i dont miss my a500s anymore.

Now heres my prob thats got me flippin. I got the bass that i want now, but the LTDS are still recessed. I think this is an unavoidable of all A-series as i've had a500s and LTDs and listened to reg a900s. With the ad2000, i get wonderfull mids but seems like my 80% of my bass/impact hits my ears, the 20% rest goes outside into the 'air'.For kicks i tried to cover the earcups with my hands, and low and behold, some of that bass/impact comes back in. Enough to vibrate my ears and tickle the inside just like the LTDS only a little softer. Man what i wouldnt give to get a semi closed that had best of both worlds with AT sound. Its like both of these cans are 9/10 and the other can has the other 1/10 and wont share.

I'm experiencing almost the same thing as you, just at a different price point
icon10.gif
I tried the LTD - midrange was too recessed. Now I have the AD700 and the bass isn't there. Maybe it's time to look into other cans... but that AT soundstage is sooo sweet. I'm more than a little dissapointed at your post, because I was holding out on the AD2000 as being the perfect AT. But it sounds like the bass still isn't all there (but probably much better than the 50% of the AD700).

Back on topic - maybe you should try an M^3 or similar amp with bass boost. It seems a lot easier to 'fix' a weak bass response than a lacking midrange. You also might want to look into a blu-tak mod for the LTD. Basically involves smearing adhesive gum stuff on the inside of the LTD's metal ear cups. Some people swear that it boosts midrange response, but I though it colored the sound in an odd, unnatural way. It's totally reversible though, and might give you the sound you're looking for. Maybe some tape mods on the grill of the AD2000? That's all I can think of, but I would look at your system's synergy first.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 7
eh, i try to get close to speaker/sub slam as possible. Its coming along in my ad2000s but not as much as i would like. I dunno if its letting my millet warm up a bit or my ICs are getting burned in (brand new), but its coming along. Hopefully they will get around the LTD level then i can be happy.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 7
What's the point of getting semi-closed - not like it will isolate or prevent leakage?

I think a Senn HD650 might be in your future, if you want plenty of bass with perfectly balanced mids.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 7
arent the 650s laid back? ive auditioned the 600s and i hated how far back the music was. Auditioned the 555 and 595 and was more pleased with the foward in your face sound.

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
but the LTDS are still recessed. I think this is an unavoidable of all A-series as i've had a500s and LTDs and listened to reg a900s. With the ad2000, i get wonderfull mids.

How wonder
eek.gif
Here i ahve A500 as well as A900LTD. they both are totally different in mids. I found A900LTD's mids bit forward then A500. And it's clearly noticable immidiately. Maybe you are talking after comparing AD2000's forward mids which might be too forward then both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back